Java sparrow questions

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Java sparrow questions

Post by animalobsessed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Hello FINCHforum! Today i decided to join this forum because i need help, and googling stuff isn't cutting it anymore :lol: anyways, the java sparrow. I was looking around websites and saw one, and instantly fell in love. Also sorry in advance of any punctuation flaws.

Ok questions:
1. I have a pair of zebra finches atm, can i house them with java finches?
2. Minimum cage size?
3. Can the java finches be housed with the following:
cordon bleu finches
society finches
gouldian finches
whyhah finches

Ok now i have some questions on the pintail whyhah finch
1. Minimum cage size?
2. Can they be housed with the other finches listed above
3. What is the recommended temperature and humidity to house them?

that's all for now, all answers will be appreciated :)
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Java sparrow questions

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi there,

Zebras can get quite aggressive so I would be careful housing them with other birds such as Javas. However I have no experience with javas or any of the other birds listed above (apart from zebras) so I cannot tell you for sure.

@Babs or lovezebs should be able to answer some of your questions.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:20 pm

30 x 18 inches is minimum size for a pair of all finches. Larger if mixing species.

Pintail whydah is very aggressive (mine was the most aggressive finch I ever kept) and I would not house them with any of the other finches except Javas, which are able to hold their own. You might be able to house them with zebras, if the zebras also stand up for themselves.

Javas should be compatible with the rest if the cage is very large but I would not mix zebras with any waxbills.

Whydahs and the rest do fine at room temperature and humidity isn't important.
~Dylan

~~~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:29 pm

animalobsessed

Java finches can have a wide range of temperaments, which will determine compatibility. They are generally described as pushy, but many are passive. My pair is pretty indifferent when it comes to other birds; I have kept them with a pair of gouldians and a bunch of societies without many issues in a 4' x 1.5' x 4.75' tall flight (minor issues arose when other birds were breeding in the same flight). However, some Java finches are quite aggressive and may injure other birds, so it is important to evaluate them on an individual basis.

In general, passive birds, like society finches, should not be kept with pushy birds, like whydas. Keeping passive and pushy birds together often works in a well-planted aviary, though smaller cages may present an issue. Here's a general compatibility chart: Housing Mixed Species

Are you planning to breed the birds in the same enclosure? If not, there shouldn't be as many problems.

animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by animalobsessed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Wow tons of answers! Thank you all! I am considering breeding, and i think housing each species in seperate cages will be best. One more question :) if i was not to breed can i house gouldians and one cordon bleu together, and owl finches with societies in another cage? Thanks in advance.
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:51 pm

animalobsessed

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

I house several Zebra Finches with a pair of Javas without any major issues, but they're housed in a flight cage 5' by approximately 40".
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~