Bird Fair/Expo in Jacksonville Fl 2/18/18

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Finch&Budgie
Pip
Pip

Bird Fair/Expo in Jacksonville Fl 2/18/18

Post by Finch&Budgie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:12 pm

My husband and I are planning to attend this bird fair/expo in Jacksonville, FL tomorrow. We haven't been to this one in years. Has anyone attended in the last year or so? I am still on the hunt for Javas, for sure. Maybe, also Societies. Hope I find some. And a new flight cage for our parakeets/English budgies.
Sandy... Javas, Zebras, Societies, English budgies and parakeets, and Black and White Mannikins.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Bird Fair/Expo in Jacksonville Fl 2/18/18

Post by wildbird » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 pm

I was there about five years ago, and they only had one finch vendor and no Javas. That was a long time ago, so I don't know what they will have now. Let us know what you find. I'm looking for a Java too, and maybe a couple of nice Society males. Hope they have what you are looking for.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Finch&Budgie
That sounds neat! I don't know much about it, but I think I'll go. Even if they don't have anything I want to buy, I should still be able to learn something.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 pm

I was there when it opened, and there were goldbreasts, black-and-white manikins, Java finches (only 3-5), shaft-tail finches, society finches (all pied), gouldian finches (not many, mostly older juveniles), lavender finches, green twinspots, paradise whydas, canaries, grey singing finches (all bald), zebra finches, green singing finches, a cutthroat finch, a black-and-white seedeater, lovebirds, budgies, cockatiels, and a whole bunch of other hookbills I didn't really look at.

There was a good selection of seeds, dried fruit, nest boxes, food dishes, and cages, though there were no show cages.

Finch&Budgie
Pip
Pip

Post by Finch&Budgie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

We were there when it opened as well. We purchased Java finches, black-and-white mannikins and English budgies. I can remember when there were many more Zebra and Society finches being offered than I saw today or last month in Orlando. We are happy with our birds and now the budget is most thoroughly busted. The mannikins are something new for me.
Sandy... Javas, Zebras, Societies, English budgies and parakeets, and Black and White Mannikins.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Finch&Budgie

Sounds like you were successful! The black-and-white manikins looked great, but I had heard that they're aggressive while breeding.

There weren't any tricolored munias, so I only ended up getting a bag of canary seed and two gravity feeders. One of the vendors had three pairs he was trying to breed, though.

Have you ever been to the Central Florida Fair Grounds show? They had a bunch of society finches of several mutations, from selfs to dark-eyed-whites.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Finch&Budgie, How many Java did you get and what color? I didn't think there would be many finches there. That's great that you found the birds you wanted! Are you going to post pictures?

Finch&Budgie
Pip
Pip

Post by Finch&Budgie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Icearstorm - We went to the show in Orlando last month. I didn’t look hard enough for Societies, I guess. Tight budget and I really wanted some Javas. Now, of course, I wish I had been able to find a Society in a color I like. We will see about breeding the black-and-whites. Only time will tell.

Finch&Budgie
Pip
Pip

Post by Finch&Budgie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Wildbird - I bought 5 Javas. Four are just beginning their molt to adult colors. One has just about finished it’s molt and is normal color. Kind of exciting waiting to see what their colors end up being. I just want at least a few hens. I have 3 males and 1 hen already. :D

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Finch&Budgie

Oops, I forgot to clarify; I attended the Fairgrounds show around a year ago, so they probably had different birds. I think I also saw tricolored munias at that event, but didn't purchase any... Now I'm kicking myself. (I really need to drop it with this sudden tricolored munia obsession.)

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Finch&Budgie, There should be some females in there for sure. They seem to be easier to find than males. They will be a nice addition to your aviary. When they start breeding, you should have lots of Java babies!