Doves or cockatiel?

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Doves or cockatiel?

Post by animalobsessed » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello! I have decided to get a larger bird (as i only have finches) and i quickly decided that a cockatiel would be right for me.

I recently found that doves can also make good pets, and i have fallen in love with ringneck and diamond doves. If i were to get doves instead or a cockatiel, i would probably be able to keep both types of doves.

I still live with my parents, so i can't get a loud bird, and i have heard mixed opinions about them (cockatiels) being loud. I wouldn't want to rehome them because my mom can't tolerate them anymore.

So what do y'all think? Should i get doves or a cockatiel? I really wan't a bird i can interact (hold) with a lot. I just don't feel that excited about getting a cockatiel right now :/
Last edited by animalobsessed on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Doves or cockatiel?

Post by animalobsessed » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm

P.s. sorry for any misspelled words, bad vocabulary, as im new to the whole forum thing. :) thanks

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:06 pm

I have never had doves but my pair of cockatiels are pretty quiet... Finches and budgies are way louder lol! Doves sound like a good idea. Let us know if which species you choose! (Doves or cockatiel)
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

My experience with cockatiels is they scream and it's something people who do not love birds cannot tolerate in the house.
It really is an awful noise.

Male ringneck doves are also very noisy, and their noise is very repetitive. Females are quiet, and diamond doves make less noise though they are certainly not silent birds.

Cockatiels are the most personable. Ringneck doves, if gotten very young, can be tame and affectionate pets that can be picked up, snuggled and trained to sit on your finger. Mine would fly to my shoulder on his own and lived loose in my house like a flying cat, and caused no trouble - unlike parrots they don't chew anything or cause damage. Diamond doves are wild, timid birds without much personality at all, I didn't find them interesting to keep, and you will never be able to handle them.

If you like doves, consider a pigeon. They can be even more personable than a ringneck dove, and they have a softer and more pleasant coo.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I would say cocktiel all the way even though I had bad experiences with both I found that the diamond doves where really boring and I’ve seen tamed cocktiel that look amazing to have
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by animalobsessed » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Hmmmmm....

I decided i wont be getting a cockatiel, my parents prefer the doves anyways. If i get only female ringnecks, are they quiet-er? I think the next three birds i get will be ringneck doves, diamond doves (they are sooo cute), and button/king quail. Have any of yall had fun experiences with one of these birds you'd like to share? Im going to look into pigeons as well, but are they legal to keep? Even in a city full of them? Also are there any other dove species y'all like? Sorry about all of these questions, im just curious and want to keep the dove topic going lol!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm

I LOVE Chinese button quail! If definitely recommend getting some for your aviairy floor! Males are best kept with more than one female so if you go button quail I'd recommend 2 female and 1 male. Although I haven't had any problems with keeping them in pairs so that's up to you. On the other hand if you dot want to breed button quail a few male quail would be a great idea and they'd help eat up the seeds scattered on the ground! Bear in mind the male quail do crow but it's nothing very loud. You may want to listen to the crowd first tho before purchasing if you decide to get some. I can agree that diamond doves are absolutely gorgeous. If I get another avairy I'd definitely love to get some diamond doves! I can see why you like them! My cockatiels are very quiet but that may be partly because they are old. On the other hand A young cockatiel could prove to be louder. I have had no experience with doves so I have no idea how loud they are.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah, female ringneck doves hardly make a sound.

Pigeons are legal to keep everywhere in the world.
The wild pigeons you see in cities are the descendants of escaped captive pigeons raised as livestock or as racing birds.

Pigeons come in many exotic breeds, look them up. They do not all look like the wild birds.
~Dylan

~~~

animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by animalobsessed » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks! Yea im starting to get birds for a large aviary i plan on building in the coming years. Im really excited for my quail and doves :)