DIAMOND DOVES

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

DIAMOND DOVES

Post by animalobsessed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 am

Hello everyone! So, the next bird(s) i will be getting will be diamond doves! I have a couple of questions about them;

1. What do i feed them (i was thinking seeds and veggies daily, grit and water 24/7, and millet about once a week)
2. What nesting material do diamonds prefer?
3. Have y'all had success with taming diamond doves? (I want to at least to be able to hold them)
4.what kind of nest box do they prefer? Is a closed cockatiel nest box fine?

that's all the questions i have for now, thanks in advance!
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: DIAMOND DOVES

Post by Sally » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm

animalobsessed I used to have Diamond Doves, and one of the most important things to remember about keeping them is that they need a rather large cage, as large as you can afford. They have a much larger wing span than your typical finch, so they need room to spread those wings. They also need a solid bottom to their cage, or to have a wire grate covered, as they spend a good deal of time on the bottom of the cage, and walking on wire is not good for their feet.

They are different from finches in that they do not hull their seed, so they need a grit in order to grind up the food. I used a good finch mix, others have mixed parakeet seed in with the finch. Mine liked egg food and some veggies, you have to experiment with the veggies.

A cockatiel nesting box would not be good for this species, as they like an open nest. I used to hang a small wicker basket with handle, like a small easter egg basket, and offered dried grasses for them to line their nest.

I never tried to tame mine, so I can't comment on that.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Diamonds in my experience are entirely untamable, even babies I held every day for hours became too afraid of me to pick up as adults. They are a look and don't touch pet, even more than finches (I have tamed finches, but not diamond doves.)

They eat the same thing finches do but have little interest in green food.

They nest in any sort of open basket or cup with any material you provide that's long and thin. Sticks, straw, or shredded paper suits them. Mine were bad parents and abandoned most of their babies.
~Dylan

~~~

animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by animalobsessed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:50 pm

So they wont allow you to even handle them?! I really want a bird i can hold and show off, maybe i would have better luck with handling if i got a ringneck dove..??
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm

You can hold ringneck doves, if you get a baby and socialize it.
Diamond doves are afraid of people. I have heard some people tame them, but I don't know how they could do it!
~Dylan

~~~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm

As Sally mentioned, they need grit. Not mineral grit, but something like chick grit which is small granite bits. Something hard and sharp that they use, in the gizzard, to grind seed.

And, as others have mentioned, they are really just small pigeons and they need room to fly.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Diamond Doves would do best in an aviary. If you want a tame bird to hold, try a parrotlet or cockatiel.