Anyone written a thesis on aviculture?

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Anyone written a thesis on aviculture?

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 am

I'm looking at several majors, and figure that it would be good to consider potential thesis topics. Granted, I have around three years before I should start the thesis, but it's useful to know what I could be getting into (theoretical at this point).

Some ways a topic like this might go:

1. Biology and Animal Science
This would probably focus on individual species, behavior, genetics, breeding, etc. Zebra finches are pretty popular research birds, but others are less studied.

2. Economics and Statistics
Could be general or specific; types and number of birds kept, variety of birds sold, prices sold at, age of birds, revenue and profits, cost of startup, barriers to market entry, animal mills versus independent breeders, etc.

3. Sociology and Demography
Probably more general and people-focused; who keeps birds, motives for keeping birds, geographical distribution of aviculture, etc.

Does anyone have experience with writing a thesis, scientific article, book, or similar material relating to aviculture? It would be interesting to see your perspectives.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Anyone written a thesis on aviculture?

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:43 pm

There are countless graduate school theses out there. Colleges with veterinary schools would be the first place I'd look to get a sampling of the sort of research done. Or talk to a faculty member in your vet school or biology dept to ask direction. You will ultimately need a faculty sponsor anyway.
You don't say where you are or name your school. That may help.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Anyone written a thesis on aviculture?

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:18 am

paul-inAZ

I'm going to UF. They have several departments that could be useful; I suppose I will check them out when I get there.