Training my finches

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Training my finches

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Looks like I got some formatting wrong in the previous post :/

Here's the video; I had some trouble uploading it.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Day 8,9,10: Can't remember much now, but they seemed to eat the millet more readily. Leaving the nest in the cage now.

Travelled away for 3-4 days, so nothing happened then.

Day 11: Took Summer, Floopy, and Morty out as well as Macbeth and Tacocat; I'm hoping Summer, Floopy, and Morty will learn from their parents and stop screaming and making alarm chips every time I walk by. Floopy and at least one of the fawns started eating the spray millet while I was holding it, and one of the fawns (didn't figure out who) sat on my finger while he ate, although he wouldn't fly to me. The three of them didn't seem quite comfortable, but it's pretty impressive that they could learn from Macbeth and Tacocat and sort of get over their fear that quickly. They'll probably need a few more days before they only sit on the antlers. They're also still learning not to fly into stuff...they did this at my old place, too, and I don't know why. Macbeth is acting like she might be getting ready to lay an egg, so I'll leave her and Tacocat alone now.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Things have been a bit busy lately with coollege and stuff, so I haven't been working with the birds as much. Turns out I've probably been doing excessive assignments though, so I guess I should have some more time after this.

Day whatever I don't know, and there's some more progress. Macbeth has not laid any eggs and isn't showing any signs of doing so, so I've let her and Tacocat out together a few times over the last several days. Today I got Macbeth to get on top of the millet spray twice or so, and a few times she had a foot on my finger without freaking out, so she's coming along. Tacocat is a bit jumpier, but I also got him to get on top of the millet spray while I carried him back into the cage.

I've taken the other three out alone on several different occasions, and they definitely aren't as calm. At least Summer and Floopy regularly fly back to the antlers; I'm hoping to avoid any more poop getting on my curtains :/

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:35 am

Macbeth has started stepping up: Training My Finches: Progress

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:10 pm

She is really not into it and is avoiding your hand still until she has no other choice.
~Dylan

~~~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Sheather

I can tell. I'm hoping she'll figure out I'm not going to murder her and chill out eventually, but I'm keeping the sessions short until then. They calm down pretty quickly once I put them back in the flight.