Finch gone missing

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Finch gone missing

Post by CathyCraftz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 am

Before I went out, there were two Finches in the cage. Now there’s only one. I checked in the nests but the finch just disappeared. There is no escape route that I could see. How could this finch have disappeared?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Finch gone missing

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 am

CathyCraftz

That sounds like a mystery.

Birds don't just disappear.
What species of Finch are we talking about, and how wide is the spacing between your cage bars?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 am

The finch missing is a female Normal Grey zebra finch, and her companion is too. When I first bought the cage, I was told to watch them as they could get their head stuck between the bars, but that has never happened before.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:50 am

I am led to believe that certain birds if ill will stay somewhere low down, a few months ago my mums budgie went missing, she eventually found it dead under her sofa

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:15 pm

CathyCraftz

For Zebras, you need 1/2 inch space between the bars or less.

Look all over the house, under furniture, up above on high shelves, in closets, in plants, dark corners, just everywhere. Leave seed and water somewhere in the open where it can be easily spotted.

Listen very carefully to any flutters or rustling sounds when you're sitting quietly.

Try and find her, because without food she will die very quickly.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm

I had one zebra female, when very frightened, force her way out of the 1/2" bars of the cage. Watched her do it. She would also be out the tiniest bit of open cage door if we weren't careful to keep it blocked with a hand/towel/etc. Absolute escape artist.

Put out the food and water. Maybe she'll show up.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 pm

CathyCraftz

Try playing some zebra finch calls (normal ones, not the alarm calls); maybe she might answer.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:11 am

I never let her out for excercise so there is no chance that she is somewhere inside. I also checked everywhere in the cage and she is not there. My remaining female seemed down, will get her a mirror. I currently play her some zebra finch sounds. Planning to get her a male finch soon.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy