The loss of our finch

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Diana R
Pip
Pip

The loss of our finch

Post by Diana R » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:52 pm

We lost our Jojo Prettyboy Butterball!! He would bleed every 3 months and in the end, it looked like his vent was blocked up! Is it possible he could of overate? There is no vet in area who tends to finches! We fed him finch food with vitamins, dry green finch vegtables, shavings of calcium and millet. We had no uv light, but would place him by a window.We kept food always in his cage. We would like to get a pair of society finches in the future, but am worried if we can't figure out what we did with our dear, male finch Jojo! We miss him so and his pretty song! Someone else owned him for about 2 years before us, we had him for 2 years, and I understand he wasn't well cared for. He never let me touch him , except for the last 2 days of his life, I could pet his head and chest, and he even made a grinding-coo sound when I pet him! I hope he felt loved!! Can you believe I actually cried because we lost him! Any info would be appreciated!!!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: The loss of our finch

Post by wildbird » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 am

I am so sorry for your loss. They are family, and I understand how you feel. He might have had internal parasites, since he was not well cared for before you got him. Why did you think his vent was blocked? Were there a normal amount of droppings for the food he was eating. And was the finch food finch seed or pellets? They don't need shaved calcium. Just a cuttlebone and oyster shell available. My Societies are provided with Higgins mineral mix, bird health grit from ladygouldian.com, oyster shell, kelp granules, bird charcoal in their mineral dish and a cuttlebone. They get a little bit of fresh organic greens, like dandelion greens or romaine lettuce clipped to the side of their cage once a day. Wash the greens real well with clean water before feeding, even the organic. I give them a small portion of cooked frozen corn and peas and shred some fresh carrot for them. They always have fresh water and a bath available. It's hard to know what happened to your JoJo. It's not likely to be anything that you fed him. No, he didn't overeat. Be sure there is nothing in the cage that he can chew on with lead or zinc in it. Were you using papers on the floor of the cage or some type of litter? I hope this helps.

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 am

Thanks for your answer. His vent was swollen in a funnel shape and there was black matter in the hole. I still seen him poop 1 or 2 days before he passed. The shaved cuttlebone cos he wouldnt eat it when hung.He wouldn't eat any suggested food but fresh broccoli, but I hadn't given that to him for a while.it was finch seed with vitamins.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 am

Diana R

Sorry about your little boy.

It sounds as if there was something wrong internally, very difficult to know what exactly had happened. What species of Finch was he?

Regarding diet:

I feed a mixture of Finch/Canary/Budgie seed mixes.

Fresh greens and veggies: Baby Spring Greens, spinach, parsley, romain, red swiss chard, broccoli, cucumbers, beet greens, grated carrots, grated beets, corn, bell peppers, chick weed, dandilion greens.
Fruit: Apples, blueberries, sliced orange, banana, sliced grapes, bits of melons, sliced berries.

Mineral bird grit, grated cuttlebone, grated mineral block, grated iodine block, bird charcoal, crushed oyster shell, crushed cooked egg shells... all mixed together (small amounts offered).

Egg food: Grated hardboiled eggs, mixed with store bough egg food, pulverised freeze dried meal worms, dry herb salad.

Fresh water daily both for drinking and bathing.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Lovezebs: Your birds eat better than I do!!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:22 am

wildbird

My birds and dogs eat a lot better than I do too :lol:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~