Society and Gouldian scared of paper?

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Society and Gouldian scared of paper?

Post by StodOne » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 am

What the heck , I bought like 1000 pieces of paper to replace wood chippings as a bedding , I placed a few shears to see their reaction I observed them for about half a day and they wouldn't land on it to eat , has anyone ever had this issue and have they resolved it?
If yes how did you do it , I am afraid of starving them :p

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Society and Gouldian scared of paper?

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:30 am

StodOne

Most animals are afraid of novelty. Your birds should eat and drink when they get hungry/thirsty enough seeing that they are both fairly domesticated (some high-strung wild birds may choose to starve), but you could try putting paper on just one half of the floor and their old bedding back on the other half. Sit the food and water on the old bedding side, and they should land to eat. Otherwise, you could try raising the food and water dishes off the ground and then gradually lowering them over the next few days.

Squinting with droopy wings can indicate dehydration and fluffing up can indicate lack of food, so keep an eye out for that.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Icearstorm aha got it , well that will have to wait I have removed the paper for the time being until I clean the cage again .
But oh man did I design my cages badly when bit comes to cleaning it is super hard to clean and I need to get another person to help me not to tip it over while lifting it up to remove the bottom lol

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:39 pm

StodOne

That's annoying. I have to open the door pretty wide to clean mine, but fortunately the birds usually stay in. Or sit out in the room and watch me when they're out for free flight.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:24 pm

StodOne I bought a cheap hand hover from a market and then use this to get rid of all the main bits as I am not bothered if it breaks and then I get a cloth and warm water to wash it out
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3