What should I do?

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

What should I do?

Post by Branching out » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:52 pm

The female of my pair of Java finches has died suddenly and unexpectedly. All the symtoms looked like egg binding, so I responded accordingly but there did not seem to be an egg. She was fine at lights out but down on the floor in the morning. The cage is five feet long but only 15" wide and can be divided. The male (I'm about 80% sure it's a male) is fine and has been for a couple of weeks. So my question is what should I do now? I have enough time to look after my birds but not for daily training and out of the cage exercise. Do I try to tame the remaining finch - he's not tame but he's not frightened of me either, or try to get him a new mate/male companion? Space wise the cage would probably hold 4 but if we follow the usual finch logic four would lead to fighting unless anyone on here suggests different for Javas. There are other birds in the room he can see but not interact with directly.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: What should I do?

Post by wildbird » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Have you checked my recent post in Finch Chat: "What To Do Now"? Javas are usually happier with another Java. Did either of your Javas sing? Females only chirp and males sing. I had two females but didn't leave them in the cage together alone. One would always chase the other one. But my cages are 30" across 18"high and wide, so maybe with more than 30" of flight space they would have gotten along. What area of the country are you located in? What other types of birds do you have?

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Wed May 01, 2019 3:14 pm

I'm in the UK. One of them sung and I think it is the one that is still alive but, of course, it hasn't sung since the other one died. There are Bengalese finches, Budgies and a Canary in other cages in the same room. If they weren't a pair, they were very content together.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 pm

If your Java seems to be depressed, then you will need to get another Java. I'm going through the same thing with mine.