Baby Goldfinch

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Njall
Pip
Pip

Baby Goldfinch

Post by Njall » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 am

Hello, I have some questions but first the backstory:
Four days ago my aunt found baby bird on concrete sidewalk, it was during a storm and it was struggling in a puddle.
When it was brought to me it was shaking, visibly weakened, couldn't walk, wobbled and slept all the time, too weak to even beg. It looked like it was not supposed to on the ground just yet. Also, its left eye was very swollen and completely shut.
Long story short, four days later the bird looks alright, although still a bit wobbly, begs nicely, and eye looks pretty too.
I'm feeding it baby bird formula and clean the eye thrice a day with saline solution.
Now the questions.
Would its parents still feed it if I returned it to place where it was found?
If not, would it be possible to release it later when it will be able to fly? Would it instinctively know how to find food?
And last one, what was wrong with its eye?
Pictures of the first day (night actually).
Attachments
IMG_20190729_214323.jpg
IMG_20190729_214329.jpg

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Baby Goldfinch

Post by isobea » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:14 am

Njall - Hi, not much time so just a quick partial answer.
I don't think it's a goldfinch (the beak is not narrow/pointed enough). Are you in the US and thinking of an American goldfinch? Or in Europe thinking of a European goldfinch. The Europeans are the ones with the narrow and pointy beaks.
Keep it warm and continue feeding it the baby formula, maybe add some aphids if you can find some. And no, the parents wouldn't come back to feed it. Even worse, it would be totally helpless on the ground (think cats, dogs, etc.).
Gotta run, Iso

Njall
Pip
Pip

Post by Njall » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:56 am

Thank you for the answer, I'm adding pic from today that shows yellow stripe on his wings, so first thing I thought it was European Goldfinch (I'm in Europe).
Attachments
PicsArt_08-01-04.41.44.jpg
PicsArt_08-01-04.46.28.png

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Njall it’s good your helping it but no it wouldn’t hve a clue in the wild later in life it looks like you will have to keep him/her if you can or sell it to someone when it is eating and drinking itself

I’m not sure what it is either but then again I’ve never had goldfinches but I’m sure when it’s fully feathered you will be able to tell easily
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Njall - in these new pictures it does indeed look like a young goldfinch to me. If so, you will be in for a treat. The males and females (to a lesser degree) both sing. And they are equally beautiful. I have a new pair, hoping for babies next spring.
Good luck with the little one. You are doing a great job!
Iso

Njall
Pip
Pip

Post by Njall » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:02 am

Thank you and good luck with your pair!
I won't have problems with keeping the little one as I keep other birds too, just wanted to know what will be best for it.
Also, I'd take it to a vet for checkup but there are no avian vets nearby. How long do you think I should keep it quarantined?
I'll rather be safe than sorry, especially because of how its eye looked.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Njall I think quarantine is usually 90 days
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Njall - what other kinds of birds do you have? Are they in cages or in an aviary? Would you want to integrate this little guy once he/she is weaned, can fly well and is sure in navigating with branches/perches etc.?
Iso

Njall
Pip
Pip

Post by Njall » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 am

Sorry for the late reply, I would only like to introduce him/her, and eventually let them out together.
I have my birds in cages, it's a pair of zebra finches and Bourke Parakeets, each in their own of course.