My finches yelled at me!

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
bikardos
Pip
Pip

My finches yelled at me!

Post by bikardos » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:52 pm

I just got two male finches a couple of weeks ago and they've been so much fun! However, I was a very bad mommy last Friday night. It got cold at night and I brought the cage out and set it on a tray in the living room where it's warmer. The cat didn't seem to notice it, but after I'd gone to sleep I heard a great crash and found the whole thing on the floor. Somehow, the door must have gotten open because when I got there kitty was taking one of the new kids to the kitchen. To make a long story short, the bird wasn't hurt but lost his tail feathers (which I see should grow back, thank God). After about an hour coaxing him out from behind the washing machine, I got him back in the newly-cleaned cage where he enthusiastically attacked the millet spray. Then, as if on cue, the both of them turned around on the perch and gave me a real tongue-lashing. Can't say I blame them, but who knew they were quite so communicative!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 am

Yikes! You got lucky!

Hilary

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:24 am

Merciful heaven! Thankfully you caught the cat in time.

Getting yelled at by finches is an experience you don't soon forget.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:21 am

that's why my cage hangs from the ceiling lol. Even that didn't stop one of my cats the first time I had the finched hung, he got on the back of the couch and made a jump for it, all we heard was two loud bangs, one was the cage against the wall and the other was the cat on the filing cabinet under the cage. He dented the cabinet but the birds and cat were ok. Now they're hung so close to the ceiling he hasn't a hope of getting on top of the cage, so although he'll sit and twitch he can't get at them. With cats with high prey drives you can never trust them, this same cat even tried to eat a conure and an Amazon parrot we were caring for (2 separate occasions).

bikardos
Pip
Pip

Post by bikardos » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:59 pm

Bad Mommy here again -- my cage usually hangs near a window in my bedroom, where kitty can't get to it. During the day I like leaving the birds in a spare bedroom with the door closed -- especially since this little incident. But I was soooo lucky. Happily, Slant and Stubby seem to have forgiven me (or forgotten all about it).