Bald female gouldian

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
jef
Pip
Pip

Bald female gouldian

Post by jef » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi,
I bought a pair of gouldian finch a year ago. They are constantly laying eggs. I see another set of eggs as soon as chichs are out of the nest. I have noticed the female gradually became bald. I decided to close the nest for a while. I feed them with seeds and eggs and green vegetables. For how long I should keep the nest closed? [/img]

TammyS
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by TammyS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:32 pm

How many clutches have you allowed this pair to raise this past year? A pair should only be allowed 3 clutches of chicks each year...as it is very exhausting. My pairs usually rest around 6 months before I will let them go back to nest. When breeding, some of my hens do lose head feathers, but they grow back during the rest period - and they usually go through their annual molt during that time as well.

jef
Pip
Pip

Post by jef » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 pm

TammyS wrote:How many clutches have you allowed this pair to raise this past year? A pair should only be allowed 3 clutches of chicks each year...as it is very exhausting. My pairs usually rest around 6 months before I will let them go back to nest. When breeding, some of my hens do lose head feathers, but they grow back during the rest period - and they usually go through their annual molt during that time as well.
Thank you Tammy for info.