Strange places for nests, a short story

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Strange places for nests, a short story

Post by Finchlet » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Once upon a time there were two sisters names Xena and Lupita. They decided to aquire a nest together. (i won't say build a nest, because there was no "building" involved) So they comandeered the local seed dish, and sat on eggs in it together. Here is a "birds eye view" of said nest:
Then one day, their 2 legged mommy of the non-winged variety, had the great idea of trying out some seed hoppers. The finches were afraid of them at first, but quickly adjusted....as you can see from the pictures below.

The end!

Anyone else have any weird nesting place stories?

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:12 pm

LOL that's too cute, it's good that they now feel comfortable with the seed hoppers though!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:45 pm

My Strawberry pair routinely lay eggs in one of my seed hoppers. It pays to be tiny sometimes. :D
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Pixie and Lynx have decided that the floor of the aviary is a perfectly suitable place for a nest. :lol:
No nesting material required! (altho Lynx tries to re-arrange the pine shavings, not that it makes a huge difference)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:50 pm

It's all just one giant nest hey? :lol:
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

plantsandbirds

Post by plantsandbirds » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:46 am

Awww....I felt claustrophobic just looking at that little finch in the seed hopper! :wink:

Lynx is the master of those shavings! :P

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:17 am

just shows what a waste of money buying nests and nesting material is,especially when finches have a mind of their own

:lol:
ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:34 am

lol Finchlet! At least when the babies start learning to fly they don't have far to fall.

plantsandbirds

Post by plantsandbirds » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:52 am

kenny wrote:just shows what a waste of money buying nests and nesting material is,especially when finches have a mind of their own :lol:
ken

:P :P

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:56 pm

hi finchlet
just noticed your seed mixture do you do it yourself or does it come like that ,it looks far superior to the mixes that we get in the uk which are mainly mixed millets

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Finchlet
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Finchlet » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:00 pm

I got it at the local bird store. At first I bought the basic cheap mostly millet mix. I noticed that they did not eat some of the seeds. They have a few other mixes that I am trying out to see what the little guys prefer. One even looks like it has tiny pieces of dried fruit! Trail mix for finches :)

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:49 pm

I feed a seed mix that has bits of dried veggies and fruit it looks like yours only with colourful bits of fruit and veg, then I mix in a little egg biscuit on my own. I'm not convinced they actually eat the egg biscuit, I think they just crumble it to dust to spite me, it's so hard to clean up, it blows all over the place when trying to roll and fold the newspaper with all those fluttering wings! I can't wait until I have my flight cage and button quail to clean up the others' mess! :wink:

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:53 pm

Thalia wrote: I think they just crumble it to dust to spite me, it's so hard to clean up, it blows all over the place when trying to roll and fold the newspaper with all those fluttering wings! I can't wait until I have my flight cage and button quail to clean up the others' mess! :wink:
Mist the paper with a spray bottle first, then the debris won't blow around.
TammieB.

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 am

Silly birds.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 pm

OOH good idea Tammie! thanks!