I was given a new finch today!

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
plantsandbirds

I was given a new finch today!

Post by plantsandbirds » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:17 pm

I know, I know, you can never have just one....or two....or six....! :wink: Word got out in my small community that I have finches and someone had a little Zebra finch female that they wanted to get rid of.

I picked up the adorable little girl today! :P She is pied - the usual grey color with white on her head and tail. She is settling in her own cage until I make sure she is OK. I don't have a true quarantine (yet) but this helps a little I guess.

The other finches are "meeping" like crazy! "Woo Hooo lady.....over here!"

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Congratulations! And thanks for being willing to take in a little finch who needed a home.

plantsandbirds

Post by plantsandbirds » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Good thing they only had the one! I think I would have tried to give a home to any that they had! :P

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:45 pm

lol well the word is out, you may regret that statement in the coming months lol! :lol:

plantsandbirds

Post by plantsandbirds » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:50 am

:P :P Maybe if people want to give me a finch or ten they can donate to the "build a conservatory fund". :wink:

So far the little girl is doing really well. Everyone is still really talking to her....especially if she makes a "meep" herself! She has been devouring the greens that I've put in the cage and had hopped right in her "Herb Salad" dish.

bluefinch
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluefinch » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Watch out word spread quickly that you will take unwanted birds. A few years ago my aunt’s neighbor wanted to get rid of her Amazon parrot and green cheek conure. My aunt told her that I keep birds and might want them. I agreed to take them in. Not long after that my mom was telling a coworker about how I took in the two parrots. She then asked my mom if I would like two love birds. I agreed to take them in. This past fall another lady from my moms work was looking for a home for her two lovebirds and she some how herd from my moms coworker that I took her birds in. So I ended up with those birds as well. So as I quickly found out you might end up with your own little bird rescue! :D

plantsandbirds

Post by plantsandbirds » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:37 pm

8) uh oh! :wink:
I love the little things, though. I need a bigger cage! :P

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 pm

lol bluefinch I wouldn't be sad if someone gave me their Amazon maybe the conure they can be a bit noisy and nippy though ;)
Plantsandbirds, now you have an excuse for an aviary, to prepare for the large influx of give away birds you'll be receiving once the word gets out! lol

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 pm

Hey Bluefinch - sounds like your family is the problem, not any imagined addiction to birds.... :lol:
Hilary

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:24 am

Taking in a bunch of birds like that is one of those things that my wife would probably not be too excited about. I think we're going to have to just stick with what we've got here.

**Edited for spelling

bluefinch
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluefinch » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Hilary, It is a problem I enjoy having (If that's possible).

Thalia, I quickly learned that large parrots are ALOT of work! I no longer have the Amazon as I felt I didn't have the time to take good enough care of her. I found someone who was experienced working with large parrots who offered to take her in. At least I was able to give her a better home 8)

Now if I could just find someone who is looking to give away some owl finches or shaft tails or CBs or.......... :roll: :wink:

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:25 pm

Steve, you just need to stress to your wife how TINY finches are. People find out how many I have and they're shocked, but I always reply that they're really, really small so together they actually don't equal THAT many birds.....

Bluefinch, I admire you for taking in the bigger birds. I'm afraid to go beyond the budgie and dove - anything that's smarter than I am that will live longer than me that needs the supervision of a 2-year old is probably not my cup of tea.... :lol:
Hilary

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

oh I would be in heaven if someone gave me an Amazon or a pionus or a senegal, heck I'd even take a cockatoo or a macaw if I didn't live in an apartment. I just love the big parrots, so smart and so much personality! I just can't fathom actually buying one though, they cost as much as about 4 months worth of living for me :shock: I have ferrets so I know all about the supervision factor lol, we have so many mateless socks :lol: I just love the interaction with the big birds, I've been getting itchy and thinking about selling the finch cage once the aviary is built and buying a cockatiel instead of a budgie, they're so sweet, I'm still thinking about it though... Cockatiel cages don't hang so conveniently from the ceiling.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Hilary wrote:but I always reply that they're really, really small so together they actually don't equal THAT many birds.....
Haha, I tried that but as soon as people walk into my apartment and see that the birds have more living space than I do (since the aviary and breeding cages take up so much room) they are no longer convinced :(

plantsandbirds

Post by plantsandbirds » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am

Crystal wrote:
Hilary wrote:but I always reply that they're really, really small so together they actually don't equal THAT many birds.....
Haha, I tried that but as soon as people walk into my apartment and see that the birds have more living space than I do (since the aviary and breeding cages take up so much room) they are no longer convinced :(
:P I can see that happening in MY little house! heh heh.