Marketplace - yes, PM - NO!

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Marketplace - yes, PM - NO!

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Most members know to post their birds for rehoming or for sale on this forum (Marketplace). However if you are considering PM'ing people - DO NOT do that!

1) You don't know where people are located. They are probably not near you and probably not even in the same country!

2) PMing is NOT for selling birds. That is the purpose of THIS forum.

3) You may get reported for trying to sell birds via PMing.

Thank you.
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: Marketplace - yes, PM - NO!

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 pm

I didn't know you aren't suppose to PM people to sell them birds :shock: learn something new everyday :wink:
I think a lot of people do it... I have been contacted by some. Most wanting to buy. I don't ship so I don't make sales but may I ask why you can't? Just curious :D
I have seen post where someone has a bird for sale or they are looking to buy and others post, "I will PM you". Is that acceptable :?:

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Yes it is acceptable to ask and/or tell someone you will PM them - of course.

But to PM a bunch of people you don't know... and you have no idea where they live...? That's just not right.
Liz

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Haven't had any to sell yet -- but... Yes, Ma'am! :shock:
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm

L in Ontario wrote:Yes it is acceptable to ask and/or tell someone you will PM them - of course.

But to PM a bunch of people you don't know... and you have no idea where they live...? That's just not right.

Okay, I understand and agree... though there are some that that's why they visit here.... to sell birds. I know when I first joined I was contacted a lot through my PMs and the website that I had listed. Once they found out I don't ship and I'm not a broker... well now only the occaisional inquiry.
Yes, it would even be dangerous dealing with people you don't know and contacting them through the PM may give people a false sense of security. Buyers always beware and safe :D

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:32 pm

But why would anyone PM people they don't know and don't know where they are located?

I received a PM from someone outside of my country asking if I wanted birds? It doesn't matter if I do or not - I can't get them!

PMing people you know is perfectly fine. But PMing people you don't know... not so much. What's wrong with just using the Marketplace - as it is intended.
Liz

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:17 pm

I agree with Liz.
If we have birds to sell, post them in the marketplace. If someone is interested and lives nearby the rest can be done by pm`s.
If we want to buy birds from a specific member who breeds the birds that interest us no problem.

The problem is going through the list of members names, regardless of where they live, and asking them if they want to buy our birds through pm`s.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:24 pm

I have also gotten pm's from people wanting to know if I sell my birds or know someone that has finches I do not have that are for sale. It is one thing to help out someone you know but putting people I do not know in touch with my friends that breed birds can be a bit concerning.

I suggest posting "Looking for...or Wanting to Buy" and "for sale or rehoming" all be done through Marketplace unless you are friends with the person you are pm'ing.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:03 pm

L in Ontario wrote:But why would anyone PM people they don't know and don't know where they are located?
I think most people list their area under their advatar so sellers would have a good idea where you are... but why someone would contact you from another country is nuts... unless they read a post where you were talking about imports coming into Canada and thought maybe it was worth a shot.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 pm

I agree with Liz, the Marketplace is the place to post for sale or wanted ads, that is why the Marketplace was created (in answer to forum members requests). There should be no problem PMing someone who has posted in the Marketplace, as by placing an ad, you are soliciting responses.

When I have someone asking for a contact, I will normally email that breeder first to make sure it is OK to give out their email.

I wonder if this is similar to an ad that was on craigslist, I think, some time ago. The person who placed the ad was in Africa, had all kinds of African finches for sale (for very cheap prices, of course, before all the documentation and quarantine charges were added). He said he had an export license, but that doesn't mean he had a license to import into the U.S. I figured it was one of those scams, where if I sent money, I would never see it or the birds again.

Of course, if it was a PM, it had to be a forum member. I'm sure you let them know the proper way to do this.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:13 am

Sally wrote: Of course, if it was a PM, it had to be a forum member. I'm sure you let them know the proper way to do this.
I did, Sally. Thanks.
Liz

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:15 am

They could have gone into the members list and copied and pasted names into the "to" section of the pm they were about to send...the member section does not show country or area within the states where you are from unless you click on the name.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 am

Yes, I know how they did it Cindy but it just doesn't make sense to solicit people you don't know; and it should NOT be done.
Liz