Poll: Should the marketplace remain public?

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.

Should the marketplace remain public?

Yes - keep the marketplace Publicly viewable. I want my ad(s) to be seen by all--even by people who are not members of this site.
62%
No - please make the marketplace Private/members-only. I prefer only to deal with those who are already members of this site.
38%

Total votes: 73

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Poll: Should the marketplace remain public?

Post by Sally » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:17 am

I used to think the Marketplace should be private, in fact I brought this up to Crystal. I have since changed my mind. As others have pointed out, as long as the seller doesn't give any contact information other than to say 'PM me', sellers can assure that they are only selling to forum members, if that is their wish. And it is up to each seller to decide who is a good/desirable buyer. It is easy enough to turn away a buyer. There really is no need for both an open and a members-only Marketplace.

For most sellers, the goal is to sell those birds, reaching as many potential buyers as possible. Though we have many members, they are a small number compared to the nonmember lurkers. For instance, just now there are 3 registered members and 24 guests browsing the forum. Guests are nonmembers AND members who are not logged in. A members-only Marketplace would only reach those members who are logged in, losing the ability to reach many members who routinely browse the open forum without logging in.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Matthias
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Matthias » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:23 pm

I have no interest in the matter as i can neither buy or sell here since im from veeeery far away... but i dont think it makes too much sense making it for members only as it only takes 2 minutes to become a member and log in to view the marketplace so the point is immediately defeated by making the market place for members only
2 pairs red cheeked cordon bleus
1 pair parsons
1 pair parrot finches (pied male and female red face)
2 pair shaft tail
1 pair star finch
1 pair cubans
3 pair bengalese
1 pair cherry head
1 pair canaries
1 pair fire finch
1 pair lavenders

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm

I know this is an old thread, and the person to whom I am responding probably isn't reading it any more - but just in case it might put some future reader's mind at rest -

re being fearful that someone might buy your birds to feed to snakes -

This is so highly unlikely. Think logically for a second - why would a snake owner buy your $20 or $30 or even more costly bird to feed to a snake when they can get unlimited numbers of feeder mice for as little as 15 cents apiece? Plus - even LIVE mice can't fly away. Feeding mice and rats is way cheaper, easier, and more easily recognized and processed by the snake.

Really, this is not a serious concern.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:00 am

I think the only time that anyone has to worry about their birds being used as snake food is when they are being given away for free. That is when you would want to have some idea who was getting them. Free birds on craigslist would not be a good idea.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 pm

One thought is to have a voluntary policy where nonmembers are assessed a small fee (maybe $1) when they purchase (that is donated to the site). This encourages people to join, and joining is positive because it is easier to ask questions when you've already joined up.

Whether or not a prospective buyer is a member, ALWAYS take the appropriate security precautions when showing or selling your birds.
On my local CL there have been stories recently not only about the usual flippers and sellers of fake purebreds, but also several stories of buyers grabbing puppies and jumping into their car and stealing them.

Theft is the least of it, your own personal security is important. Just because someone is finch crazy doesn't mean that they are not also plain crazy.