Poll: Should the marketplace remain public?

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.

Should the marketplace remain public?

Yes - keep the marketplace Publicly viewable. I want my ad(s) to be seen by all--even by people who are not members of this site.
62%
No - please make the marketplace Private/members-only. I prefer only to deal with those who are already members of this site.
38%

Total votes: 73

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Poll: Should the marketplace remain public?

Post by Crystal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm

As a member of this forum, and someone who uses the marketplace here (or may want to use it in the future), would you prefer that the marketplace forum remain accessible (viewable) to the public (i.e. even people who are not members or logged in to this site), or would you prefer to make the market place members-only, meaning it would not be viewable by the public, but only viewable by logged-in, active members of this site?

Please respond in the poll & feel free to leave any feedback or additional thoughts as a comment.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Poll: Should the marketplace remain public?

Post by cindy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Crystal,I know personally I have had an issue with what I posted for sale on the forum being seen by non members. I may post certain mutations of a bird only on the forum and then show other birds on both the forum and on a local site. A few times parties interested in birds advertised on the local site brought up the fact that I have a different mutation not shown in the ad but shown here. Some of the issues I have had was with brokers/non-members wanting birds I only advertised on the finchforum. It got to the point I decided do to advertise anymore.

I think the market place should be for members eyes only.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Although I can see Cindy's point and agree that it can present a problem, it's nice that the entire forum is public. Hope others weigh in on this.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:44 pm

I agree with charlie, don't see why it shouldn't remain public like the forum. After all if your selling something the more eyes that see it the better.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm

I can see both sides. Sometimes, I may want to offer something for FF members only and don't want the general public to buy my finches. There are others who are open to selling their products, birds, etc. to any interested party.
DEBORAH

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:51 pm

I think for web sites that sell products, they'd probably like the more people to see it, the better.

However, to me at least, if I'm offering a bird, I take great comfort in it being offered to experienced or at least proven finch lovers rather than the general public where you don't know who you're dealing with or what their motives are (I am always terrified of snake-food people!). In cases like that, I'd prefer my marketplace ads are for members only.

30 Seconds to Bob
Weaning
Weaning

Post by 30 Seconds to Bob » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:39 pm

It's easy enough for ANYONE to become a member of the forum, and I think that a true bird aficionado would want to be one anyway. For the sake of those who wish it to become private (and have valid reasons), I say make it private. I rarely sell (or give away) birds, but when I do, I would much rather they go to people I can keep in touch with via the forum. Bob
3 canaries
2 orange cheeked waxbill finches
2 java finches, 1 split to normal, 1 white
2 bourke parakeets
1 american staffordshire/american pit bull terrier
1 boston/jack russel terrier mix
6 adopted stray cats
2 adult, 1 young leopard gecko
4 fish tanks and 4 fish bowls
3 turtles
2 teenage kids and 1 wife

nelloyello11
Weaning
Weaning

Post by nelloyello11 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:12 am

Hmmm.... I've never actually offered anything for sale on the MP, but..

It seems that the marketplace might be one of the ways people would find the forum; someone might google what they are looking for, and discover (and maybe subsequently join) our forum family.

I understand the concerns some members might have about wanting to know where their birds are going. BUT, don't you have to be a member to respond to a post or PM a member about a post? Unless you post personal info in the for-sale post, how would a non-member contact you to buy from you?

If the fear is that someone might find the post publicly, then join, just to be able to buy- is there a way to limit ability to respond to a MP post specifically? For example, new members wouldn't be able to comment on a MP thread, until they reach at least 25 posts (or 50 or whatever). Ultimately, the decision to sell rests on the seller, and you can see how long a member has been on board, how many posts, etc.

Or, is it possible to add a feature (for MP forum posts only), so that the original poster could choose whether to make their post public or private- best of both worlds?
Nelissa
1 NG (Peter), 2 SF/FF (Astrid & Nina) and 2 BC (Desmond & Penelope) Zebra finches
2 Owl Finches (Hedwig & Fawkes)
Painted turtle (Keeker)

Casper
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Casper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:52 am

I really dont use the marketplace because I am in Australia and I have never seen some thing local to me!

I would however think keeping it for members only would encourage people to join and for people to have an opportunity on both sides to get to know those involved in the transaction.
Totally owned by a spoodle called Pepsi, 4 very cute zebra finches (2 fawn females, 1 ??? and 1 white male) and about 60 guppies! And loving every minute of it!

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 am

If you are selling and only want to sell to people that meet your requirements, I would think you would still have to ask questions whether they are members or not.
If they are a member you can always look up their id and read posts they have posted and get a feel for their experience level. If they have no id you know they are not a member and you then have the to option to just say no to a sale with them. I hate to say it but just because they are members here doesn't make them any better then non-members. After all there are 2299 members here, how many do you really know?
If you make people have to join just to look at what's there you may end up with lots of members that disappear because they only joined to look, then left.
Just my thoughts
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Perfex
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Perfex » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:14 am

Open to everyone.
Michelle P

Black Bellied Fire Finches
R/T Parrot finches (Normal and seagreen)
Forbes PF's
Blue Faced PF's
Gouldians
Owls
Variety of waxbills
Sun conure
10 rescued cats
4 Dobermans

mayble
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by mayble » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 am

nelloyello11 wrote: Or, is it possible to add a feature (for MP forum posts only), so that the original poster could choose whether to make their post public or private- best of both worlds?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Isn't it possible to set it up so the poster has the choice?

Martie
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Martie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 am

I will let Crystal answer the question of a choice to go public or private with an ad, but believe we don't have that capability here.

My take on this is that for members who want to advertise, the Marketplace is wonderful - and having it open to the public provides more exposure and makes it even better.

For those members who want to limit sales to forum members, it seems easy enough to put that disclaimer in your Marketplace ad - and you can quickly and easily check that responders are in fact members with a quick check of the members list available on this site.

To me - in the absence of technical choice, which would be ideal, the "Public Camp" has what they would like now and stand to lose - and the "Members-Only Camp" can make that happen for themselves with a bit of extra effort?
Martie
Mill Creek Aviary
Erythrura (Chloebia) Gouldiae (Gouldians)
Lonchura striata domestica (Societies)
Taeniopygia bichenovii (Owls)
Serinus mozambicus (Green Singers)
Lonchura punctulata (Spice)
Poephila acuticauda (Shafttails)
Split Plastic Leg Bands
http://sites.google.com/site/finchlegbands/

chirpy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by chirpy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 am

I am a big time newbie here but maybe the option to have it public or not might be a good idea?
If I were to ever give my birdies away I would PREFER it be a member I knew or had people know via the forum :) but if they were nice and sincere that would be OK too... But there isn't much knowing they are I guess.
Mommy to:
2 Soc's: Bebop (Roseanne cause she's a big girl!) & Rocksteady
1 Black and white cat: Poker (aka Pokes, Pokey)
1 Ball Python: Riff (aka Hawk-eye)
1 Lutino Cockatiel: Stewie (RIP! I love you <3)
1 Avid rib eating sports fanatic.
1 Accident prone 2 year old daughter.

1st clutch: 07/04/2013 - 4/6 fertile 1/4 DIS.

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:47 am

I originally voted to keep it private to members on FF only...but the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards having it open to the public.

As others have mentioned, there should be an exchange of questions from the buyer and seller to ease the sale regardless if they are a member or not. The exposure can only help. If you don't feel comfortable selling to someone, just tell them the birds aren't available anymore. :^o
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves