LF: Feathers!

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

LF: Feathers!

Post by birdclaws » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 am

Kind of a strange request, but I'm looking to get some feathers for the firefinches to use for nesting. I know I could easily buy a down pillow, but I don't think I need that many!

Does anyone want to share some feathers from their never-ending pillow supply? :D

Can pay whatever is fair -
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

Sunbay
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: LF: Feathers!

Post by Sunbay » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:31 am

LOL - I was just doing an internet search last night for "white feathers".
I have a feather-nesting mix, but they are pretty big, and the birds seem to only like the white ones.
I may have to sacrifice an old down pillow for white downy feathers. They are high quality pillows, with 'sterilized' down.

If I do, I will send you some. Will let you know by PM, so I can send you some. :wink:
Lauren

Purple Grenadiers
Blue Dacnis
Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus
Painted Finches
Black-Faced Fire Finches
Black-Bellied Fire Finches
Gloster Corona Canary
African Quailfinches
NFSS, NCBS Member and CITES permit holder
English Cocker Spaniels

Angela&Shalamar
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Angela&Shalamar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 am

Shame you didn't post this yesterday I just did my weekly cleaning and I"m local to you, you could come got whatever was floating round. :lol:
Angela&Shalamar

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:27 am

I have plenty, but I am quite disappointed with them. I bouight a feather pillow at Walmart, where I have gotten them before, and they are probably 2/3 brown feathers. Of course, I can't return the pillow now that I've cut it open. So I went to Target, where I got a pillow once before when the Walmart one was not all white, and theirs is also mixed with lots of brown feathers. I can't afford to keep buying feather pillows, trying to find one with all-white feathers! Maybe if I paid a bit more, I could get a better quality, and they might be all-white.

I am mad at myself, as I was cleaning out that back room off the porch where I used to keep birds and supplies, and I set an almost full feather pillow out on the porch overnight. The next day, it had been peed on by the outside cats, and the feathers smelled. I tossed it, thinking I could easily replace it, and now I wish I had made more effort to get the smell out. I had gotten it at Walmart, and it had really lovely white feathers.

So if you want any mixed white and brown, I have two pillows worth for free! :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

mayble
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by mayble » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:45 am

You are all doing better than I am - I haven't even found feather pillows in the stores I've been to.
I may have to break down and actually go to the mall :YMTONGUE:

Sunbay
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Sunbay » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:57 am

Well, I *needed* a new pillow anyway - so I just ordered one on eBay.

A Charter Club "Vail" that I alway use. Nice, clean white down/feathers.
As soon as it comes in, I will let you know, and can send some of the old pillow feathers out to those who want them.

:-D
Lauren

Purple Grenadiers
Blue Dacnis
Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus
Painted Finches
Black-Faced Fire Finches
Gloster Corona Canary
African Quailfinches
English Cocker Spaniels

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Ha-Ha Sally!! I still have a bag full of feathers you sent me years ago! :lol: :lol: Smetimes I just throw them out for the birds to play with. Fun to watch!!! =D>
Donna

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 pm

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Why not go to a craft store, like Michaels, to get feathers?
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Sally wrote: I have plenty, but I am quite disappointed with them. I bouight a feather pillow at Walmart, where I have gotten them before, and they are probably 2/3 brown feathers. Of course, I can't return the pillow now that I've cut it open. So I went to Target, where I got a pillow once before when the Walmart one was not all white, and theirs is also mixed with lots of brown feathers. I can't afford to keep buying feather pillows, trying to find one with all-white feathers! Maybe if I paid a bit more, I could get a better quality, and they might be all-white.

I am mad at myself, as I was cleaning out that back room off the porch where I used to keep birds and supplies, and I set an almost full feather pillow out on the porch overnight. The next day, it had been peed on by the outside cats, and the feathers smelled. I tossed it, thinking I could easily replace it, and now I wish I had made more effort to get the smell out. I had gotten it at Walmart, and it had really lovely white feathers.

So if you want any mixed white and brown, I have two pillows worth for free! :lol:

Do the birds seem to prefer only the white feathers? I never even thought of that.

Temporarily, I've been gathering up some of the feathers that I've found from the diamond doves and putting them inside the cage.

I guess I always thought the craft stores would only have funky colored ones. Who knows, maybe firefinches would like red feathers?? :wink:

If the birds seem to only like the white feathers, I guess I will just order some from the link wellingtoncdm sent. Thanks!
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

Sunbay
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Sunbay » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

WOW! Thanks Charlie! Just ordered some.

I DESPISE actually shopping, except at Publix. Amazon loves me. I know all the UPS and FedEx guys by name. :-)
Lauren

Purple Grenadiers
Blue Dacnis
Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus
Painted Finches
Black-Faced Fire Finches
Gloster Corona Canary
African Quailfinches
English Cocker Spaniels

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Actually, I don't know that the birds will only use white feathers, but I only like white feathers. One time, I peeked in a nest and saw a dark blob, so I thought I had Strawberry babies. The parents were eating tons of eggfood, and I was elated. After quite a few days, I never heard any begging sounds, and Berry babies sound like little crickets. I finally got on the stepstool to take a look. Still that dark blob. I took out the nest, and realized it was a pile of dark feathers! I had been fooled!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

RC#1
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by RC#1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:42 am

I purchased Emu feathers from ladygouldian.com. Some birds love them others ignore them.
RC#1

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 am

I have three male birds (canary, star finch and Zebbie) and they all love playing with feathers! I have used sterilised feathers from the petstore it packs, and they've been lots of different colors. I make fake nests with a lining of coco fibre and feathers, and my birds love pulling them apart! They carry the feathers and fibres around, and it looks very funny!

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm still using a pillow of down -mix feathers I bought a couple of years ago. There is a brown one every here and there. I put a handful into a container and microwave them for about a minute to sterilize them. The birds love them (especially the Firefinches, birdclaw). But, like Donna, I just toss a handful into the aviary for them to play with.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).