Suggestion to Bird Sellers

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Suggestion to Bird Sellers

Post by Nipper06 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Can I make a suggestion to the sellers here? I think when people offer birds for sale, especially "pairs", they should let potential buyers know if they are nest-mates (siblings) or unrelated birds. Buyers should ask, but maybe people new to bird keeping don't always think to. I am just mentioning this because, given the sometimes limited supply of some finch species, people need to try to avoid breeding related birds (to avoid inbreeding / preserve genetic diversity). Sometimes I see posts on this and other web sites where people come back "all happy" from bird shows and say "I just bought a pair of" (birds)... but they forgot to find out if they were related (and they'll never see that breeder again).

Sorry for my rant ! Inbreeding is my "pet peeve" !!!
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Suggestion to Bird Sellers

Post by Nipper06 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:50 pm

And this problem is even worse for doves, where the clutch is always 2. I always see "pairs" of Diamond Doves for sale... but how likely is it, that this pair is a brother and sister? I'd say, VERY likely! But people new to bird keeping may not think of this and they end up breeding. Yikes!
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Good reminder! Besides asking the breeder if the birds are related, when at a bird mart, some people buy one bird from one breeder and then a mate for it from another breeder. This doesn't guarantee the birds are unrelated, as the two breeders may have swapped bloodlines, but it helps.

The same can apply at pet shops, where a breeder may have sold a clutch to the store, but the store owner doesn't inform buyers that the birds are all related.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Sam007 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Agree with you Ron. Good suggestion!
I love Gouldian Finches.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:17 am

I'm going to make this thread a sticky, so that it will remain at the top of the page in the Marketplace, as a reminder to sellers.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

rsrj317
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by rsrj317 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 pm

I also agree Ron. In fact i should probably update my for sale post of the 5- 6wk old zebs, being there were 2 nests/ pair involved. Thank you for the sugestion.
Monica
Monica
Cockatiel(Iszy) 5 nesting zebras(pied, norms, white/fawn, black face)

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Stores may often sell related birds... best to buy your birds for a pair from two different sources if you can if unsure.

I sell at some of the shows... my birds are banded with a colored family band and I will tell them if the birds are related or not, if cousins on one side or siblings. I keep a written log of the birds I bring to the show which is a guide to their parents/bloodlines, colored family bands and numbered/dated metal bands.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

ERYR
Pip
Pip

Post by ERYR » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 am

I am interesting in buying lady gouldian finches any color need from 100 and up for good price if you have some please contact me at twdrims@yahoo.com