Looking for finch breeders / hobbists Central California

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Looking for finch breeders / hobbists Central California

Post by zebsoc » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:16 am

I am interested in buying a few finches.

I am looking to buy some different varieties, which are not available in the pet stores in my area.

I wish to add them together with my female society finches to create a small aviary.

Such as owl, nun, spice, African silverbills, or java finches.

Between Modesto and Fresno, California.

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Looking for finch breeders / hobbists Central California

Post by jonvill » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:28 pm

There's a bird mart coming this month:

Exotic Bird Expo is coming to San Jose! (www.exoticbirdmart.com) (san jose east)

Exotic Bird Mart is coming to Santa Clara Fairgrounds!
April 17th
August 14th
October 2nd

Inside Gateway Hall

We offers wholesale prices for birds, bird food, bird cages and bird accessories. Our mission is to provide you with the best services a bird mart can offer. So join us and lets have fun with our feathered friends!

Please visit our website for more information:
www.exoticbirdmart.com

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:00 am

Jonvill - thank you for the information

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Post by xz_zebs » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 am

zebsoc,

PM me if you are willing to travel to San Jose. I have some hens that may work for you and I know others in the area that also may have birds that you are interested in.

If you care willing to wait there is a show in Sacramento in early August that is a fantastic place to pic up Zebras (and usually gouldians and a few other species). This year's info isn't up yet, but it should be sometime soon:

http://efinch.com/show/

Most of the zebras available for sale at the show are in the $10-$15 range, so you don't have to worry about show finches being too expensive.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:13 am

zebsoc Just FYI, Java finches are illegal in CA, so you won't find them for sale at any mart or public offering.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Sally - thank you for letting me know about Java finches. Had no clue CA had made them illegal.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:48 pm

zebsoc Some groups are working to get some of the rules regarding this species changed, specifically the ban against interstate shipping. Right now, it is not legal to ship Java finches across state lines in the U.S. I'm sure it is done, but those who do it really take a chance. California is one of the few states that outlaws this species completely. The argument is that if they got loose and built up a sizeable wild population, they would be a menace to agriculture (they are called Java Rice Sparrows for a reason). However, that argument doesn't make sense to me, as south Texas has a huge rice-growing area, yet Texas allows Java finches to be kept within its borders. You'd think if they were such a menace, no state with a large agriculture community would want them. Of course, California is in a class of its own, with an awful lot of rules and regulations, so I would be surprised if they lifted the ban on Java finch ownership any time soon.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Sally - yes CA has many restrictions that are very silly.

I couldn't even buy a standard floor lamp on sale online from Walmart a couple of years ago because it allowed regular light bulbs instead of the new bulbs pge is installing which use More wattage then both the Cf bulbs and the Led ones. (And pge are Low lighting - which is hard to see by with my poor eyesight)
Had to get the floor lamps from Amazon at higher price, since its the old regular bulbs that are now illegal and Not the cf nor Led which the floor lamp also allows.
CA laws make things so confusing when they try to force people in only 1 particular narrow minded way.