Bird Prices

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Bird Prices

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:11 am

kyle

For some reason the sign is coming up really blurred, can't make it out. How much for say a Gouldian?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 am

lovezebs
Gouldians are $398 a pair gold breasts are 270 a pair and owls are 248 a pair.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:57 am

kyle

Those are really quite high prices, is that a chain Pet Store, or a private Shop?

At my Pet Shop

Gouldians : $ 139.99 each, and somewhat cheaper if you buy two.

Owls: $109.00 each, and $189.99, for a pair.

The last pair of Goldbreasts I got, we're free, so I can't recall the price for them. However, if memory serves me a little bit, the price on them is no where near as expensive as what your shop charges.

I wonder why there is such a difference from one Province to another....
Although even here in town, there are big differences between one pet shop and another.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 am

lovezebs
The prices do vary quite a bit from pet shop to petshop. I got my gold breasts from Petsmart and paid 160 for the pair $110 less than what Petland wanted.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:17 am

kyle

Yea, Pet Land, is VERY expensive. I was just in there today, playing with the cutest Sun Conure that I've ever seen. He was preening my face, my eyelashes, and burrowing into my hair. I was in love.... untill I was quoted a $1,300.00 price tag for this cutie.

Pet Smart, a bit more reasonable.

But I stick with my Pisces Pet Emporium.
They have decent prices, and also a frequent customer point system. When you hit 1000 points, you get $35.00 off your next purchase (which is nice, cuz' I shop there quite often, anyway).

Plus, they all know me so well , that I have been known to get reductions in price, or freebies (like Kelsey, Max's new girlfriend ).

I love that store :D
You should look it up on line.
~Elana~

peter121378
Nestling
Nestling

Post by peter121378 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:35 pm

kyle wrote: The prices for birds in BC Canada at my local pet shop.
Wow...those prices are high.
~Peter~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:54 pm

lovezebs
Lol. Sun Conures they are as vibrant as they are loud! 19 years ago I went to a pet shop and was captivated by a four month old African Grey. He is a wonderful companion but I would never make that kind of commitment again. Life changes and the bird is forever! The $1,300 they were asking for the Sun Conure it's probably a good thing considering the lifetime of care it's a small price! I checked out the website for your pet shop it looks like a great place. You're lucky to have it. Around here unfortunately all we have is larger chain stores.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

peter121378
Nestling
Nestling

Post by peter121378 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi All,

I got a pair of Gouldians over the weekend for $55 each at Stewarts Bird farm in Harleysville, Pa.

- Peter
~Peter~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:05 pm

peter121378

Congratulations!
Lucky you, that's a great deal.
~Elana~

peter121378
Nestling
Nestling

Post by peter121378 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:23 pm

lovezebs wrote: peter121378

Congratulations!
Lucky you, that's a great deal.
Thanx Elana...I know it was a great deal. I've heard/read mixed reviews on the breeder so I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and try it out. Granted I personally didn't like the way the birds were being kept at his farm BUT I also understand that he's just a breeder and not looking to tame and spend time w/ the birds like most members on this site. I love the birds and eventually I'll breed them but my main concern is making sure they're taken care of properly versus just breeding and selling. I can't stop reading the many posts from the members here with great information that will be useful for me when I my birds start the breeding process.
~Peter~

tam
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by tam » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:40 pm

B camp- Petsmart in Florida sells green singers (not fair) they stopped selling up north. I would love to have a pair. -tam

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:46 pm

I have about 18 Gouldians in a mixed outdoor aviary but this is my first adventure into BB. I bought this young pair two weeks ago from a private collector here in the SF Bay Area for $250.
New Goulds.JPG
The price was well below the Finch Farm asking prices without the shipping costs so I thought it was a pretty fair price for west coast BBs.

Here's their pedigree:

1. The male is RH/PB/YB/B, and the female is BH/PB/BB.

2. The parents of the yellow male is RH/PB/YB/B (father) and RH/PB/SB (mother).
The parents of the blue female is BH/PB/BB (father) and BH/PB/GB/B (mother).
There may be white chest gene in the parents so far it hasn't shown up in any of their babies.

The two will be kept in the privacy of a quarantine cage for the next few months while they come into their breeding season.
Quarantine Cage with ICU.jpg
They're getting all the usual meds plus vitamins and an increase in eggs (and ground shells) in their egg food.
Plenty of nesting materials available and an endoscope mounted in their nest box so I can see how they progress without disturbing them.
nest cam.JPG
Other news: Setting up 14 pairs of Red Factors on Thursday...Wild Mallards flew over the house to set up in their favorite spot behind my mother's favorite statue of St Francis (patron saint of animals).
Mallard Nest.jpg
4 eggs so far and she'll probably hatch 8 or 9 very cute babies from this protected spot - as she did the past 2 years.
Attachments
New Goulds.JPG
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:43 pm

peter121378

Sometimes you can get nice birds from questionable situations, but you have to be careful. At times these birds that come from rough backgrounds may have some issues that may not show right off.

In these situations, make sure you quarantine and treat for all the possible things that these babies might bring with them. Mites, worms, etc.

Start them on the best diet possible as soon as possible.

Good luck, and enjoy :D
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Paul's Amazing Birds

Whenever I read your posts, and see your set up, I feel myself starting to turn a little green, lol.

Congrats on the new Gouldi kids.

Francis, has always been a favorite of mine as well . Any man who would preach well enough for birds and other animals to listen, is on my good guy's list :D .
~Elana~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:37 am

I bought a green singer a few weeks ago for $45, from a breeder in the K-W area in Ontario.

A white zebra I got yesterday from a breeder for $10.

Other prices I've seen locally recently:
Canaries, all varieties $80-120, pet store; $50-90, breeder
Zebra finches $25-30, pet store; $5-15, breeder
Societies $25-30 pet store; $6-15, breeder
Cuban finch $100, breeder
Strawberry finch $175, breeder
Owl finch $65, breeder
Shaft tailed $50, breeder
Red cheeked cordon bleu $65, breeder
Pair of cut-throats $60, breeder
Gold breasted waxbill $50, breeder
Java sparrow $20-40, breeder

All prices in CAD btw.

Our pet stores here don't seem to stock other finches besides the standard trio-canaries, zebras and societies. Although I know sometime last year, one pet store had a red cheeked CB and a male cut-throat; price-wise I think they were around $70-90.

I've been looking for gouldians, but they seem to be very rare around here...can't find any :(

I find it really interesting comparing prices from different regions!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird