Bird Prices

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
gomer
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by gomer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 am

Thats a pair $40 all prices above are per pair.No doubt you would have many birds there cheaper then here.

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 am

good luck finding a painted hen Hilary. for the past two years my painteds have raised approx 20 young and not a single hen amongst them :cry:
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

bonnies_gouldians
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Orlando Bird Show

Post by bonnies_gouldians » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 pm

1) Location - I went to a bird fair in orlando two weekends ago, it was at the Central Florida Fair Grounds

2) Type of finch - I bought a pair of yellow backed, purple breasted gouldians (male has a yellow face, female has a white face) and a pair of green backed, purple breasted, red faced gouldians

3) Whether you bought from a breeder, broker or store. No names are necessary - I bought them from two different breeders

4) Price paid - for the yellow backed pair, I paid $115, for the green backed I paid $100. I saw blue backed pairs for $180 but didn't purchase them (out of my price range for now!)

5) Any other info you think might be helpful - the bird fair was GREAT but very overwhelming. I had never been to one (I had a very close friend who knows a lot about birds help me pick out my new buddies) and hope that may be vendors read this and know that it might be helpful and less intimidating to new people if you guys could label the types of birds that you have on the table. I felt SO STUPID looking at some of the animals and hated having to ask the vendors "what kind of bird is this??" but it was good to know as I was very interested in some and wanted to have names to look up care info and compatability with other animals!
4 gouldians (Devin and Agnes, Jezebel and Rocky), 4 society finches, 2 Zebras, 2 Cordon Bleus

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Wow, those are GREAT prices for pairs! Bonnie - don't be embarassed to ask about the birds you see. I do it all the time, and when I had my button quail at the Baltimore bird mart I couldn't tell you how many people stopped just to ask about them.
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:21 am

Bonnie - don't ever feel stupid asking questions at a mart! Most vendors love to talk birds, so ask away about any species you see. The vendor is a good one to ask about care, diet, housing, etc., since they are already caring for that species. I also ask lots of questions at marts, and there are often species there that I can't identify, so I ask the vendor. This is just a personal opinion, but I figure if a vendor can't tell me much about one of his birds, he probably just wholesales them, doesn't raise them himself.

I will have a table at a mart this weekend, and I am going to be more organized than I was at my first mart. I have printed up 4x6 index cards with the species name that I can place in front of each cage. I'm also working on a basic finch care sheet that I can hand out to new owners (with a referral to this site as a great source of finch information!). I think I will print up a copy of the compatibility chart from the FIC to take with me, so I can look that up if anyone asks.

As a new finch owner, what else would be helpful for the vendors to do for you? Much of the selling and trading at bird marts is between other vendors and breeders, but we need to remember that many novices may be attending, and we need to make sure they are aware of what our finches need.

bonnies_gouldians
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Thanks so much for the comments!

Post by bonnies_gouldians » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 am

I can really say that I am SHOCKED at how responsive and pleasant everyone has been on these forums! I have used other forums and either never get responses or they jump my case asking why I havent done research. They don't take the time to ask, they just assume. I have dont tons of research on these birds for several months before finally deciding on them, but it never hurts to get more advice and more opinions because then I can decide what will work best for me in my situation!

Thank you all for being so positive and I can't wait for the next show to come around (or "mart" as the term seems to be :) )!
4 gouldians (Devin and Agnes, Jezebel and Rocky), 4 society finches, 2 Zebras, 2 Cordon Bleus

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Sometimes you can research all day and still can't find the answer to a specific question you have--and this is a very friendly group of people!

Just FYI, a mart or fair is usually just like a market for selling birds and bird-related products, while a show is a judged competition. Some shows have fairs or marts in conjunction with them, but not all do. Just so you know what to expect when you see one of these activities posted.

gomer
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by gomer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 am

No marts (bird sales) in this part of the world till march,Then there is only about eight within 5 hours drive for the year.Great day out though,

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Visited the Canary and Finch show in Monroe, WA today.

Strawberries: $250/pair (one pair)
Strawberry cock: $100 (only one)
Normal Gouldians: $65-70 each
Normal Zebras: $15 each (ouch!)
Societies: $10 each
Owls: ?
Lavenders: $150 pair

Mostly Canaries. A friend bought a red factored hen for $75
Others were $35 each on up.

cntrymeadow
Mature
Mature

Post by cntrymeadow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:55 pm

atarasi,
I went to the show also and loved looking at the different finches.
I am not quite in the market at the moment for more but Im searching out resources for when I am ready.

Are there any other local shows?
Do you know of any local breeders for the more exotic finches?

We have zebs and societies and I would love to add a few of the more exotic ones.

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 am

What kind of finches are you looking for?
I know of a few breeders. I sell Gouldians and Shaft-tails myself.
Don't know of any bird marts that are coming up anytime soon.
There was the mart in Bremerton awhile back and then the Quality Cage show in Portland before that.

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 pm

At a small bird shop/breeder I know in Milton, Florida she has these finches for sale:

Cordon blues: $150 pair
Red-eared waxbill: $130 pair
Owls: $160 pair
shafttails: $120 pair
stars: $130 pair
Cut throats: $120 pair
Goldbreasts: $130 pair
Bronze-wing mannikins: $18 each
Societies: $12-$20 each depending on colors
Zebras: $6-$20 each depending on color and cheeks
Orange cheeked waxbills: $25 each
Lady Gouldians : $75-$150 each depending on color of backs
Javas: $30 each

She has a few other species but i cant remember the rest of them.

A the Southern Bird Expo in Pensacola i got a pair of shaft tails for $80 and a pair of Cordon blues for $120
Society Finches, Fire Finches, Strawberry Finches, Owl Finches, Plum Head Finch, Goldbreast Waxbill Finches, Orange Cheek Waxbill Finches, Blue Capped Cordon Finches, Zebra Finches, Bronzewing Mannikin Finches, Red-Cheek Cordon Blue Finches, and Button Quail

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:17 pm

I got my pair of Stars here in Ontario for $90 a pair in May this year. Also my Fire Finches and Strawberry Finches I bought tonight were $150 for each pair.
Liz

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:01 am

Okay, to keep this thread on topic I've split out the conversation about Quality Cages and gave it it's own topic under Housing.
Hilary

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:43 am

its a shame you dont live closer Liz, would have swapped you a pair of fires for wb gouldian or similar.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum