Bird Prices

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
Perfex
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Bird Prices

Post by Perfex » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:38 am

I have sold my RTPFs and owls for $90 each
I know the RTPF price is a usual price and the owl price is a bit high but reasoning is that my birds are parent raised, pampered like no other and I feel because of their excellent health and condition that is what they are worth. However, even with an ad a few months ago on Hoobly where I sold two, and an ad in my local craigslist I haven't had many enquiries. Seems like in my area these prices are more than people care to pay, which is unfortunate, cause they're not exactly common birds and the new season is coming up to start putting my pairs together, but I'm also out of room!! Just had to buy another prevue fo40 cage to put my Forbes Juvies in. !!
Michelle P

Black Bellied Fire Finches
R/T Parrot finches (Normal and seagreen)
Forbes PF's
Blue Faced PF's
Gouldians
Owls
Variety of waxbills
Sun conure
10 rescued cats
4 Dobermans

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Michelle.
It might be, that there is another breeder who is offering birds for less, even if they are lower quality. Most buyers wouldn't know the difference.

You may have to have a "SPRING SALE!!!! " A "Wow, can't beat these prices" kind of a thing, to bring people in and then offer a deal on two or more birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Are there bird marts or fairs in your area? That is my preferred way to sell birds, as most of the people attending the mart are already bird people. Many of my sales are to other vendors, who are looking for fresh breeding stock. The down side of selling with Hoobly or craigslist is that you have to let strangers into your home, unless you meet them at a safe place. Even at marts, prices can vary, as some vendors are selling show-quality birds, while others are selling pet-quality birds for less. And some vendors are simply wanting to downsize and so they price their birds to sell quickly.

When I was a vendor for the first time, I priced my NFSS closed-banded birds a bit higher. I soon found that most people didn't understand why that was justified. They didn't realize that the unbanded bird that was a bit cheaper could also be a lot older. When I first started selling Owls, I had a friend who wanted some, but he wanted them DNA'd, as he'd bought Owls previously that turned out to be the wrong sex. He was willing to pay the higher price to be sure. So I started having my Owl babies DNA'd and raised my price accordingly. When Owls were hard to find, I was able to sell them at a higher price, but as other vendors started selling Owls, people weren't willing to pay the extra price to be sure of the sex.

I once overheard a customer at a mart say "Why should I pay $50 for that bird (a Gouldian) when I can get 5 birds (Zebras) for that price?" To some people, a finch is a finch, they don't understand why some species are higher-priced. Of course, those are the people that I don't care to sell to anyway! :wink:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Lt. Dan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Lt. Dan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Michelle

I have not been back in the hobby long but it does seem like there just isn't a big following for finches around Memphis. Your prices on PFs are really good, the last little show here they had some for 200 each! I doubt they sold any. If I didn't have a strict limit on birds (have to keep the wife happy) I would pick up a PF or 2 from you. I really want stars and European Goldfinches but it seems very unlikely to find them around here.

Perfex
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Perfex » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Lt Dan
Just Pm'd you about Goldfinches.
I heard about those expensive PFs at the Memphis show! I think they probably went home with most of their birds because of outrageous pricing and older birds.

Sally, have thought about a booth, but attendance is poor here in Memphis and usually there is only one table of finches. ( sometimes just societies. Still I need the room! So will try out the Mart next time and see how it goes. I think part of my problem is that so far my owls and PF's are siblings. Unless someone is looking for non breeding birds to look pretty in a cage or aviary they don't want siblings.
Hopefully my other PF pair (seagreen) will have chicks this year. They are resting right now.
Michelle P

Black Bellied Fire Finches
R/T Parrot finches (Normal and seagreen)
Forbes PF's
Blue Faced PF's
Gouldians
Owls
Variety of waxbills
Sun conure
10 rescued cats
4 Dobermans

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm

I get/ am getting my finch at a place called stewarts bird farm near me. They hace really good prices in my opinion. I live In north wales Pennsylvania 20 west of philly.

Zebras:
Shafttails: $42
Green singers: $40
Gold breast waxbills:$ 40.00
Cinn. Javas: $35
Lady goulds: $60
Fire finch: $60
European gold finch: $50
Owls: $70
Diamond sparrow: $125

Its a good place. They also sell pigs, chickens, ducks and all lol.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Lt. Dan euro goldfinch are $50 where i am (i know that seems cheap) they are in great condition though.

mightymarshal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by mightymarshal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 pm

Justino222 I went to Stewart's Monday hoping for a male red factor canary but they were sold out so I ended up getting two shafttails and two fawn Javas. It's a great place with incredible prices. The birds from there are beautiful. It makes me want a cage of just shafttails. They close at 4:30 and my gps told me it's be a 1:45 drive so I left a little before 2:00 and ended up not getting there until 4:38. Luckily he was still there and I could quickly make a decision before he had to leave. If he hadn't been my back up plan was to try Bird Paradise in NJ. Anyone been there? I called and asked about their finches and they told me pricing was 29.95 a pair for common species like zebras and 29.95 a bird for exotic pairs but didn't mention what species they were. At that point I had driven 2.5 hours and I didn't care if I left with zebras. I was coming home with birds.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Oh wow!! Glad he was still there mightymarshal . i want a red Factor Canary as well but i want a crested red factor stafford canary! They are too cute lol. Ive never heard of bird paradise, i will have to check them out. Todd marcus birds exotic Is a good place as well. They are very likely to have the canary you are looking for.

mightymarshal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by mightymarshal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Justino222 I actually called Todd Marcus but the didn't have any red factors just color fed oranges and they were $129 which is a lot higher than Stewarts' price so I'm hoping he gets more. Murad at MDExotic Birds also had red factors when I was there a few weeks ago. I should call him and ask for the price. When I called Todd Marcus they only had Zebras and Gouldians in and I remember the prices sounding high for them compared to what I could find at a breeder or broker but they're a pet store so I wasn't surprised.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 am

Ohhh ok gotcha. I havnt been there in about 2 years so maybe its changed. I got my zebras there 2 years ago for 13 dollars. Ill keep a lookout for red factor canarys. I live. 10 min. Away from stewarts so if i see some. Ill definately let you know mightymarshal . ive only been back into finches for about 2 weeks now and i already have 3 breeding pairs and one society (which im training to foster but he wont go in the nest box lol) and a pair of parakeets im planning On breeding lol

Melanie Gagnon
Pip
Pip

Post by Melanie Gagnon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:20 am

In Pittsfield, Mass. they only have zebras and societies that I have found. The zebras are 22 and societies are 25. These prices are for one bird.
Melanie G.

Melanie Gagnon
Pip
Pip

Post by Melanie Gagnon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:33 am

Lol Justino. I would have felt the same. Does anyone know of any breeders in the Adams, North Adams, or Pittsfield Mass area?
Melanie G.

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:37 am

Lol Melanie Gagnon unfortunately im not familiar with any breeders in the Mass area. A really good site to find Finch on is hoobly.com scroll down to pets and search your state and/or your city. They have alot in my area but. Give it a try. :)

Justino222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Justino222 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:43 am

http://www.hoobly.com/12010/110/0/ this is the website and Birds in mass. They have canarys and some. People have finches. Dont know If this helps but worth a look :D

If the link above is unable to be clicked, copy and paste in the address bar.