Java Finch Wanted

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
lovs2build
Pip
Pip

Re: Java Finch Wanted

Post by lovs2build » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:14 am

Nerine wrote: KHoward

There are TONS of javas here....now the question is, how to get them across the border? :think:
Same here where I am in the central Luzon in Philippines, they really are like a common Sparrow's you find back in states :lol:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:40 pm

w.l. wrote:
wildbird wrote: Sometimes I think Javas do best in aviaries.
So do all birds, really.
And space really helps in difusing tensions - birds can avoid or seek out each other's company as they prefer.
Definitely!! Keeping finches in cages presents extra challenges that simply don't arise when keeping them in aviaries.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:14 am

You know I've been wanting Java finches but I have at least one move coming up which will require my crossing 3 state lines.

But on the other hand, in the many many many MANY cross-country moves and trips I've made over the past 50 years, never once have I been stopped at a border by a USDA official demanding to search the car.

Is it realistic to actually worry about carrying your birds WITH you when driving?

Not that there are any available here that I know of anyway.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

MeganSB
Pip
Pip

Post by MeganSB » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 pm

I have 3 young males but I'm in Virginia.....

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm

As a "foreigner" I have to ask... are there border crossings at each state? From what I remember as a kid going to sports tournaments you just drove... who the heck is gonna pull you over?
Also, do most state troopers know what a Java is vs. a Canary?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 pm

The answers are almost certaintly no and no. In the US, the Java finch is an obscure pet at best, which virtually nobody unfamiliar with raising birds will be familiar with.

You could realistically take them across almost any border except maybe California, which tends to be more cautious in regards to agricultural threats due to being a huge agricultural center. But I don't know if even California does border checks on the big highways, I believe they used to.

As far as I know nobody else does.
~Dylan

~~~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm

wildbird, I'm just north of Orlando (Winter Springs). I have a Java chick that just fledged last week but I don't know if it is male or female yet. Are you looking for a particular color?
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm

GouldianGuy wrote: As a "foreigner" I have to ask... are there border crossings at each state? From what I remember as a kid going to sports tournaments you just drove... who the heck is gonna pull you over?
Also, do most state troopers know what a Java is vs. a Canary?
No. Unless you are transporting a truck-load of them in an 18 wheeler, there is no border check point.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Shannylee, small white or light is preferred. The while female I got at the Plant City show in November has really turned out to be a nice bird. She is now very tame and so playful. She climbs all over her swing, pulls on the leather ties I added to it, makes the swing twirl around, and is just so active. She will pick up a tunnel made from a paper bag, look down through it and climb in it. And she loves to push a little plastic ball around. I put her in with Cinnamon, the lonesome female, and she seems to take over. Cinnamon is afraid of her and stays on one side of the cage. But both birds can't be separated as far as taking one out of the room. They miss each other if I move one cage away from the other. They are in there separate cages now. Cinnamon is much quieter and is not as active like the new bird.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon May 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Chihuahua KHoward wildbird

Check out this post:

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37135

She's in Virginia. I don't know if she is willing to ship, but have asked.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.