lonely finch

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
cuteus
Pip
Pip

lonely finch

Post by cuteus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:32 pm

2016 ended with all my elder (9 yr old +) finches flying over the Rainbow. I had two left that should have made it to 2017, but a series of bad decisions by the pet sitter caused the untimely death of the last hen on Xmas! I now have a lonesome fawn society finch and would like to find a finch in a similar situation to keep him company. I would not want a young bird but one about the same age as he, around 5 yr old. I am in Suffolk Cty Long Island. I would rather adopt than buy, but will consider it as last resort. Also would not mind referrals to pet sitters.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: lonely finch

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 am

cuteus

Another Society (or three), young or old, will keep your little fella very happy.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm

cuteus

If its not too painful, what the heck did your pet sitter do? Birds are not exactly hard to take care of for a few days, when somebody else has already set everything up ...
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

cuteus
Pip
Pip

Post by cuteus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:44 am

The pet sitter was recommended by a yoga class friend and I used her once before. My little hen never was a great flyer and last year got worse. She used to be out in the dedicated room in my home but I had to cage her. the cage door did not slide down on its own sometimes. First time I used her, the sitter left the door up but luckily that time, the hen stayed put. Next time, I wrote in the instructions to make sure door was down. I put a note on the door to keep door close. On Christmas day, I get a text that she forgot to close the door, bird got out and they could not find her. A TEXT! and hours after it happened because she, husband and kid were looking for her. I could not find a flight from Boston and had to catch a train. 4 hrs later i get home. I looked for her and found her dead within an hour of searching. I still replay scenarios in my head where i try saving her. The first error was understandable to a point but, had she called me as soon as she discovered her gone, maybe I could have been home earlier or I could have Skyped and directed them where to search. Door open, texting instead of calling, waiting too long to contact me, too many bad decisions. She might be a lovely person, but terrible at sitting for birds. Anger is still fresh. The hen was never a social finch but she was a talker and I think she did talk with the lonely finch, Chico. I just want to find him a friend. And a good sitter. I do have a service in my town but they used regular people in the area and last time i used them, I don't think the worker showed up for all the visits. Sorry for the lengthy story but maybe it will warn people and they can take measures when they hire someone. Have the sitter take a video at time of the visit or skype at each visit. Be well

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:17 am

My condolences on your loss.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

cuteus

Sad news indeed, sorry about your little one.

I think it would be difficult to find a person to look after birds, unless it's some one who is a bird person themselve.

How long were you gone?

I wonder if you'd been better off just leaving them with extra food and water...
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm

cuteus WOW that WAS a long chain of bad decisions!

I am so sorry. I hope you find a friend for your guy soon. And a better sitter.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Another thing you could try if you ever use a sitter again is to use tubes that attach to the outside of the cage for food and water so they don't have open any doors to change or add food or water. The tubes I'm talking about are made to be used for either seed or water. Only use the seed you know they like, so they don't empty the tube looking for a favorite seed. You could provide millet sprays and extra seed and a water cup inside, but if your not gone too long, they should be ok with just using the outside water and feed tubes. It's very hard to get reliable, trustworthy people today and common sense is almost nonexistant.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 pm

cuteus

Yep I would be pretty angry. Im so sorry. =((

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

cuteus It is difficult to find a pet sitter that is familiar with finches. I am fortunate that I have an excellent pet sitter. I do leave my birds alone for 2-3 days when I am gone for long weekends--lots of food and double waterers. You could check with avian vets in the area, if there are any, for pet sitter recommendations.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 am

I no longer let anyone in my home alone. Not even unless I am in same room with them.

Shortly after. Moved to new town I had a bad fall on cement sidewalk. Was having problems with severe dizziness and trouble walking.
I hired a perso to help. After a month she started altering checks on me. Very professionally done. Took months to resolve that.
Due to the move I didn't realize until later that she stole All my Computer backup files. I had beenhhaving computer problems and had trf All my files to backup leaving minimal on computer.
Gone all my journals/dairies, all my medical history informatio, etc

She was arrested 2 months later for identity theft. And had past criminal record.
By law I'm not allwed to find out about anyone before hiring them since I'm not an official employer.
Whole family of crooks including her kids who she was trainng already to help her.

R there any vets that provide boarding for pets or boarding places.
I crinch at the thought of someone in my home now, much less alone completely.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:30 pm

zebsoc

Holy crow, that's horrible.

You honestly never know what's what when you let strangers into your home.

I mean most people are really nice folks, but there are always those few rotten apples in the bunch, that spoil it for everyone else.
~Elana~

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Lovezebs
Unfortunately hard to tell
Some people can be very deceptive

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 am

cuteus

I'm so sad to hear this ....I'd be beyond furious if this happened to me!!!!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:45 am

Sojourner

Have you found any little companions for your lonely fellow yet?
~Elana~