One male society finch available to re home

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
frenchstyle712
Pip
Pip

One male society finch available to re home

Post by frenchstyle712 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 pm

I have one male society finch who lost his mate about a week ago. I do not have room to get another mate for him. I posted in December about needing to re home my society and his mate (a spice finch) due to moving and not having enough space in my new home for a large flight cage. My spice finch passed a week ago and my society needs a flock.
I live in Portland, OR and can travel about 2-3 hours any distance to re-home him.
He shows no signs of illness. He is probably about 2-3 y.o. Very docile and sweet. Just like a society.
Please let me know if you are interested in adopting him.
Thank you!!!

Trisha
Nestling
Nestling

Re: One male society finch available to re home

Post by Trisha » Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 am

Good luck on finding a home for your baby. How do you like living in Portland? My daughter and son-in-law are planning to move there.
Trisha
Red Cheek cordon bleus, Orange Cheek waxbills, 1 Maltese, 1 Toy Poodle, 1 Pomeranian, 1 aquarium, and Purple Martins (when they are here)

frenchstyle712
Pip
Pip

Post by frenchstyle712 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for the well wishes! It rains constantly and the traffic has become unbearable, and unfortunately the homeless population is staggering. Incredibly sad. I've lived here for 35 years so this is coming from an Oregonian, not recent transplant.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 pm

I lived in Portland in the 90's, and I have to say, the Oregonian idea of "rain" doesn't match that of anyone anywhere else in the entire USA.

It's more of a light drizzle. I could walk about in it and barely notice. If I spent that amount of time walking around in an Ohio or even Nevada Desert rain (which while rare is at least noticeably wet) I'd be soaked in a few minutes. Portland rain is usually more of a suggestion of dampness than true rain.

And the "overcast" there is more of a "lightly lightly very very lightly cloudy" anywhere else in the world.

In point of fact, Portland, OR gets 35.98" of rain per year.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/po ... s/usor0275

Know what the national average is? 36" per year.

Portland gets 140 - 150 Sunny to partly sunny days per year. Personally when I lived there I found it sunny far more often than where I am from, in Ohio, where it is gloomy all winter. At least Portland is seldom fully overcast like that, and not for weeks or months at a time, certainly.

According to this interactive map, Portland OR ranks significantly higher than the county I am from in Ohio for total solar radiation over the course of a year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... c2f663f366

Portland is in the top 2/3rds of the US for total solar radiation. It's right at the BOTTOM of that 2/3rds, but its not the worst by a long shot.

The rainiest city in the USA is New Orleans. Portland doesn't even make the top 15 in that category. According to this list, Portland isn't even in the top 30 (though Corvallis ranks #6) for rain.

New Orleans gets about 63" per year and on the list referenced above it is only #30 in the US for total rainfall per year (where it was ranked #1 on the 15 entry list, LOL!).

Actually almost any city along the W. Coast probably gets at least that much, if not more rain than that but they're SMALL cities so they typically don't get counted for this sort of thing. But Portland just ain't in it, let alone to win it.

Portland rain is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY overestimated, especially by people who have lived there all their lives. I swear a Portland native doesn't know what wet is, LOL!

My issue with Portland is the expense. I'd much rather live in Salem or Eugene or almost anywhere else along the I-5 corridor.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.