Taken--FREE GOULDIANS AVAILABLE TO EXPERIENCED MID-ATLANTIC

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
DCbeachboy
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Taken--FREE GOULDIANS AVAILABLE TO EXPERIENCED MID-ATLANTIC

Post by DCbeachboy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 pm

As a lifelong sufferer of severe allergies, I am heartbroken now to have developed a serious allergy to the small flock of Gouldians I have kept in my home for several years.

Sadly, I have been left with no choice but to find a new suitable home for them as soon as possible. :(

I have 4 very healthy, beautiful males of various ages, and I’d like for them to be adopted by a reputable, experienced breeder of Gouldians who will provide a good home for them — while also allowing them to do what I know they instinctively wish to do: reproduce. :wink: Only my RH PB Normal has ever raised chicks, but he proved to be an outstandingly loyal, dutiful father.

All 3 normals came from the same breeder (Nixity here on FF), and the blueback came from another local reputable breeder (BirdClaws).

A brief description of each:
  • 1 red-headed, purple-breast normal
  • 1 red-headed, white-breast normal
  • 1 black-headed, purple-breast normal
  • 1 silver-headed (genetically yellow?), lilac-breast blueback

I am not comfortable with the idea of shipping them, so they would need to be picked up in person — ideally by a breeder within an easy drive of Washington, DC. Due to the medical urgency of needing to clear my home of them as soon as possible, I’m giving them away free of charge. Ideally I’d like for the same breeder to adopt all 4. Please DO NOT contact me if you have no experience with Gouldians. I am quite attached to each of these birds, so finding a skilled new “parent” for them — one who knows exactly what they’re doing — is important to me.

Please private-message me if you are seriously interested in adopting them. I’ll be happy to provide photos.
Last edited by Sally on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Birds are no longer available.
DAVE Image
Currently the parent of 4 Gouldian males: 1 RH PB Normal, 1 RH WB Normal, 1 BH PB Normal and a YH LB BB. Have kept Gouldians since Oct. 2010 and raised 3 chicks with a former pairing of the RH PB GB I still have and a hen that I later traded (pair seen in avatar).

DCbeachboy
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Re: FREE GOULDIANS AVAILABLE TO EXPERIENCED MID-ATLANTIC BRE

Post by DCbeachboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:04 am

My BH PB Normal and Blueback...
Attachments
Scottie1.JPG
Scottie2.JPG
Scottie2.JPG (130 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Twitter1.JPG
Twitter2.JPG
Twitter2.JPG (97.51 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
DAVE Image
Currently the parent of 4 Gouldian males: 1 RH PB Normal, 1 RH WB Normal, 1 BH PB Normal and a YH LB BB. Have kept Gouldians since Oct. 2010 and raised 3 chicks with a former pairing of the RH PB GB I still have and a hen that I later traded (pair seen in avatar).

DCbeachboy
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by DCbeachboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:06 am

My RH PB Normal and RH WB Normal...
Attachments
Nicolas1.JPG
Nicolas2.JPG
Nicolas2.JPG (129.48 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Opie1.JPG
Opie1.JPG (119.06 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Opie2.JPG
DAVE Image

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Pm sent!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:30 am

Gorgeous birds, from reputable breeders. A friend had to move her birds to an outside building when her husband became allergic, so I sympathize with what you are going through.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:19 am

DCbeachboy
I would love some. I used to live in Maryland near you. I might be visiting up there in a month or so. Can you hold one or two for me till then?

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

DCbeachboy
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by DCbeachboy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:23 pm

FinchLover&Breeder wrote: DCbeachboy
I would love some. I used to live in Maryland near you. I might be visiting up there in a month or so. Can you hold one or two for me till then?
Thanks for your interest. I wish I could, but I'm quite miserable with allergies and only getting worse. I'm going to need to rehome them much sooner -- I really cannot consider delaying several more weeks. I'd also prefer that they all go to the same place, if possible. I've had several offers to take all the birds, but sadly none local yet. And again, I will only consider someone who is experienced with Gouldians. These are like "kids" to me, so no learning curve...I want them in excellent hands. :wink:
DAVE Image

DCbeachboy
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by DCbeachboy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Sally wrote: Gorgeous birds, from reputable breeders. A friend had to move her birds to an outside building when her husband became allergic, so I sympathize with what you are going through.
Thanks, Sally. Yes, I've also tried to find a way to make this work and keep them in spite of my allergies. I've even begun weekly allergy injections, but progress is so very slow it takes a year or more to even begin noticing any decreased reaction at all, however slight. I've endured one sinus infection after another and been on antibiotics for months now. No more. As much as I love these birds, it's truly reached the point I realize my health just isn't worth it any longer. :(
DAVE Image

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:48 pm

DCbeachboy
Ok. Thanks anyway. I'll let you know when I'm up there and if you still have them maybe we can set up a meeting. As for your allergies I recommend keeping them in a room where you can close the door but still allow them natural light. When you go in the room to be with them or take care of them wear a mask like doctors do for surgery. It should keep all things that are causing your allergies to stay under control much better.
Also on an unrelated note how much snow you have?

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
Channel #2

DCbeachboy
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by DCbeachboy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:45 pm

FinchLover&Breeder wrote: DCbeachboy
Ok. Thanks anyway. I'll let you know when I'm up there and if you still have them maybe we can set up a meeting. As for your allergies I recommend keeping them in a room where you can close the door but still allow them natural light. When you go in the room to be with them or take care of them wear a mask like doctors do for surgery. It should keep all things that are causing your allergies to stay under control much better.
Also on an unrelated note how much snow you have?
If only it were that simple! :) I live in an urban loft-style condo, where the only doors are for bathrooms. And yes, I've already begun using a mask to help filter the allergens from the air I breathe whenever I'm home. That has helped, but not eliminated the problem -- not by a longshot. And of course it's impossible to wear a mask while eating. I've always run an air purifier in every room, including one next to the birds -- and even that isn't preventing the problem. So truly the only alternative I'm left with is to remove the birds asap.

No snow yet this week -- though we did have about 3" a week ago. Yesterday temps were around 70, this morning in the 30s. A crazy spring here....never seen anything like it. :?
DAVE Image

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm

DCbeachboy
Ok. If I can't get up there before they're gone then I hope they find a good home. Please keep us updated. Thanks

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
Channel #2

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:13 pm

DCbeachboy Even if you had doors to close, that wasn't enough for my friend's situation. If there is central heat/air, then the entire house is affected through the duct system. With bad allergies, the only option would be to move them to another building (not an option in a condo) or rehome them. Your health must come first.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Have you found a home for them yet? If not don't wait for me. Turns out I'm not going to be in Maryland after all.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
Channel #2

Tara72
Pip
Pip

Post by Tara72 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Can you tell me if you still have your birds. I live in NOVA.

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:43 am

He found homes for all of them :) If I had been traveling back to visit I would have taken them, but I haven't been up there to see family since Christmas 2016.