Finches fighting

Here you may offer your finch-related wares for sale or trade, or arrange to make private trades or sales of finches, provided that you comply with all local, state, and federal laws and requirements. CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware): this forum will not provide regulation, guarantee, warranty, or supervision of sellers/traders/buyers or their wares.
David
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Finches fighting

Post by David » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am

Hi everyone! I’m back finally after near 1 year :) was busy taking care of my schedule and sorry no time to come post up stuff. I just want to know if you guys can find the easiest way to separate the fighting aggressive zebra finches ? I recently cleaned all the aviaries and cages so put them in an aviary and I really don’t want to separate them to like 11 cages :cry: and want them happy together :D so not so much work for me cleaning etc, maximum house I can provide maybe 7 but not 11 or more lol ! I don’t want give them away and want to save them but just too scary when beard them fighting :cry: I separated few aggressive ones last night when dark can easier when catch them :) any ideas would be great thanks !
David

David

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Finches fighting

Post by lovezebs » Sat May 04, 2019 3:10 am

David

I hate to say this, but Zebras will be Zebras :roll: .

They can be aggressive little hummers, and there really isn't a lot that you can do about it. They are territorial, and will fight untill they figure out the pecking order amongst themselves.

The only thing that I'd found to help, is placing enough high perches, enough food and water dishes, and loads of fake vines and greenery so that they don't have to constanly look at one another, and where they can hide from each other if the need arises. This allows them to stake out little nooks and corners as theirs.

Another thing, no nests at all.

If you want to breed some of them, grab the pair and house them seperately.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Finches fighting

Post by goldfinchowl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm

One thing I read somewhere long ago was to place clothes pins at intervals along the perches. Zebras are more picky about who sits next to them and how close and can be a constant battle just because of that. With clothes pins helps mark territorial lines and reduce fighting for perch privacy.