National Cage Bird Show, Tulsa, OK - 11/14-11/16

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

National Cage Bird Show, Tulsa, OK - 11/14-11/16

Post by Sally » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:27 pm

It's almost that time! The National Cage Bird Show will be in Tulsa, OK this year. Three days of fun, socializing, showing, meetings, food & drink! It's a chance to meet great breeders, network, learn, and make wonderful friendships. Come join us, bring your show birds with you or just bring yourself--all are welcome!

http://www.ncbs.org/
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

okiebirds
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: National Cage Bird Show, Tulsa, OK - 11/14-11/16

Post by okiebirds » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm

We'll have the whole family there sat. I didnt see a admission posted?
Stan
GOULDIANS...we have a few :)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Sorry I didn't see this in time, I was already on the way to the show. Left early Thursday am, checked birds in that evening, and then had the show Friday. Saturday I only attended the NFSS meeting at noon (were you there, Stan?), then the day was free till the banquet that night. Left Tulsa early Sunday am.

This show was down as far as attendance at the Finch & Softbill division. Part of it was due to some members from CA not able to attend this year. Another member from Chicago area was moving this weekend, and another member had a family emergency. Things happen, you never know what the attendance will be.

I asked a friend to go, this was just her second show. She placed 8th on Top Ten bench with a lovely Yellow-faced Star finch! We now have another convert to showing!! Another friend and also a novice placed 10th on the Top Ten bench! It shows that you don't have to be experienced, you don't have to be one of the biggest breeders around, you just have to have good birds. Anyone can show, and anyone can win!! My BCCB male won the African division (it was small), but was bumped off Top Ten bench by better birds. Better luck next year perhaps.

The biggest advantage of this show is the socializing and networking. It is a chance to meet some great breeders, make new friends, see others that you only get to see this one time a year. You learn who breeds what, and when you need new birds, those breeders now know you. Let's face it, I am always more likely to sell to someone I know than a complete stranger.

So next year, the National Cage Bird Show will be in Dayton, OH, in November. A group of us in north Texas are planning to make the drive. I've been told it's about 17 hours. Anyone who is able to should try to make this show, you won't regret it. Three days of absolutely the best time, and talking birds, and talking birds, and talking birds!!!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:57 pm

I forgot to mention, this is also a chance to pick up new birds. Many people arrange to buy birds in advance, and then pick them up at this show. It is a great way to get new birds from distant breeders without having shipping charges added. There was a bird sale room, but many sales are arranged in advance and much trading goes on. I got a great deal on a pair of Goldbreasted Waxbills and three extra hens, three different bloodlines, from a well-respected breeder. And I swore I would not get any birds at this show!!