Reviews of Bird Marts/Fairs/Shows

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Reviews of Bird Marts/Fairs/Shows

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm

One of the members has asked for a sticky on bird marts/fairs/shows, so that members can post their experiences at these events. It would be very helpful to other members who may have quite a drive to attend some of these events. So if you do attend a mart/fair/show and would like to post a review here, it would certainly be appreciated. You could post if there were any finch vendors, or what species of birds were available, if it was a large selection/variety available, and if you felt the mart/fair/show was worth attending. If anyone is thinking about attending an event, you could post here asking if anyone has ever attended that event and asking for their opinion.

Please start a new thread for each event. And of course, a review of a past event does not guarantee that the next one will have the same vendors, but there is often a fairly permanent list of vendors that will attend that same show every time.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Reviews of Bird Marts/Fairs/Shows

Post by saulosirds » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Thank you Sally, you're the BOMB!! :D =D>

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 am

Hey, you came up with the idea, I just implemented it. I think it's a great idea!

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:13 am

Anyone ever been to this show;

http://www.hoobly.com/aZJo0/updated-bir ... ton-oh.htm?

Any thoughts on how it was would be great.

Thanks
Rob

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Have no information on it, but I did add their two events to the calendar.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:28 am

Well a bunch of us from two facebook groups are all meeting in Orlando for the bird show on Sunday, some are members here....April's Orlando show is usually packed and busy....post when we get back!!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:45 am

Pictures would be great! I have a friend who is often a vendor at Orlando, and I keep trying to get out there for a visit when there is a mart scheduled. One of these days. It would be so fun to meet up with some forum members. Donna (dfcauley) set up a meeting once in Atlanta, we all went to lunch afterwards.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:50 am

Sally wrote: Pictures would be great! I have a friend who is often a vendor at Orlando, and I keep trying to get out there for a visit when there is a mart scheduled. One of these days. It would be so fun to meet up with some forum members. Donna (dfcauley) set up a meeting once in Atlanta, we all went to lunch afterwards.
I think I know who you are talking about Sally, I heard he may be there this time as a vendor...it will be nice to see him and his wife again!!! Nice people....they found and brought in some of the best finches to our shows in the past!!!!

I am usually a vendor at the show but this time I am going as a shopper instead....meeting up with a few people to swap birds for new bloodlines!!

~ My Facebook groups ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 am

Nope, not my friend. He doesn't have a wife, he has a partner. Two of the sweetest, nicest guys you'd ever hope to meet! He sometimes has button quail to sell. I met Daniel when I posted on the NFSS forum asking for a recommendation on a seller. Daniel went to look at the birds, emailed me photos, and when I bought them, he picked them up and shipped them to me! Now THAT is above and beyond, but he is that kind of a guy.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:01 am

I know we talked about Steve and his wife....thought perhaps you were referring to him. He retired and I heard he was going to do the upcoming show this time.

If your friends have a business name can you pm me and I will make a point of going to Daniel's booth and get a picture for you.

~ My Facebook groups ~

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:40 pm

cindy wrote: I know we talked about Steve and his wife....thought perhaps you were referring to him. He retired and I heard he was going to do the upcoming show this time.

If your friends have a business name can you pm me and I will make a point of going to Daniel's booth and get a picture for you.
Cindy

Are you referring to Steve S(don't want to post his last name as I don't know him that well) who used to live up north of Orlando?

He had birds at his house in back area around his garden. This guy retired and moved a few years ago but still lives near the same area but doesn't do much with birds anymore.

Rob

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:40 am

yes.....He was not there but some of the men that always helped him we, right in the same spot he always was in. They had a few birds but mostly supplies. I use to call and talk to he and his wife in regards to species, we chatted at shows. Some of the nicest people ever. They are truly missed, they use to bring such a great variety of species in. Their booth was always the first spot to rush to when through the doors, to see what new species or hard to find species they had. Prices were always the best!

This past weekend was the Orlando show, it also conflicted with on of the Atlanta shows, some of the vendors were not doing Orlando but headed off to Atlanta to do that show. The show this time was small some of the same vendors, some booths busier than others, we got there at 9 done by 11.

Next big show is Plant City, the Ammerman's Bird Show....looking forward to doing that one! July 13th.

~ My Facebook groups ~

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:44 am

cindy

Steve seemed like a very nice and knowledgeable guy. I had a friend that lived near him and had bought a lot of birds off of him. Had the chance to visit his place once and it kinda helped to bring me back to the hobby.

Funny that you think your shows are down, One of your down shows would probably be a big show here. Oh the joy of living in a tropical climate. Would love to be able to put my birds outside most all of the year.

Thanks for the show update. Have you ever been to the Atlanta show and what did you think of it if so?

Rob

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:08 pm

I have been to the Norcross (Atlanta) show twice. The first time was when the CITES ban had been lifted a couple of years previously, and the show was very good. Lots of vendors had lots of African species. BCCBs were as cheap as $25 each!

The second time was a little over a year ago, I think. Not nearly as many finches for sale, small numbers of imported birds. But the show still had lots of vendors, just not as many finches. Laraine (of ladygouldian.com) was there both times, I believe she is always there, so it was a great opportunity to visit with her and pick up Morning Bird supplies.

I haven't been to the other Atlanta mart, on the south side of town (can't think just now the exact name, something about the fair).

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

On the way back from the show my friend and I were talking and actually thinking of traveling up there Atlanta) for a show or even trying our hand at being a vendor there.

I have been a vendor at shows here, this was a first for me in years not to be, it was rather fun. We met up with some members here that are also members of some of our fbk groups. Charlie met me there to and I enjoyed walking around and shopping with him. It was a good morning!

~ My Facebook groups ~