The Bird Mart, Cleburne, TX, May 16, 2015

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

The Bird Mart, Cleburne, TX, May 16, 2015

Post by Sally » Fri May 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Tomorrow is our bird mart, should be a good one. We only have 4 tables unrented out of 115. I will be working the mart as a member of the Fort Worth Bird Club, as well as having my table (no birds this time, just a few supplies). Finch Row (W1 through W8) will have lots of birds (including canaries), as 8 tables in a row are finches or canaries. There will be toy vendors, cage vendors, seed vendors, and many more. Open at 10am, so be first in line for the best selection.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

SeaChelle
Nestling
Nestling

Re: The Bird Mart, Cleburne, TX, May 16, 2015

Post by SeaChelle » Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Super bummed that I have to miss this. I came down with strep throat and will be stuck at home, but I hope everyone has a great mart! :mrgreen:
Hazel, Penny, Jules, Otto, Pearl, Mabel, Minnie, Jane,
Poppy, Tiny, Eloise, Hugo, Francine, Vivian, Lucy & Winnie

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Fri May 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Good luck Sally and have fun :)

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:51 pm

I am planning on being there when the door opens. I want to see what finches are available and I have a lot of supplies and stuff I want to get. I've been so excited about the Bird Mart I haven't slept. Tonight I have to take a xanax so I can sleep, LOL.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Fri May 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Sally enjoy!!!! Aunt Ginene and I will see you next Mart!!!! ;);););)
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri May 15, 2015 10:19 pm

SeaChelle Take care of yourself, and we'll see you in the fall, hopefully at both the mart and our annual show!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri May 15, 2015 10:20 pm

delray Hey, that would be fun!

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Today was beyond amazing. I attended my first bird mart/expo in Cleburne and was like a kid in a candy shop. There was so much I wanted to take home bird wise and other. I also got to meet Sally. That was really nice to meet someone from the forum. Can't wait for the next one in October.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sun May 17, 2015 12:07 am

I am so jealous!!! Wish I could have been there to share in the excitement and the PURCHASES!!! Hope someone posts pictures for the rest of us to drool over! :wink:

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun May 17, 2015 12:22 am

dunker817 So nice to meet you, and Lacybug from the forum also stopped by. The mart was very successful, I believe, we had lots more guests stopping by than last fall. The one thing I hate about the Fort Worth Bird Club sponsoring these marts is that I have to work the mart instead of staying at my table. I love visiting with people, but when I am working, it seems I miss out on so much.

We had a record number of escaped birds this year, but we managed to capture all but one Lovebird. It was still in the hall rafters at 7:30pm, so we left a cage with food and water and a net. Hopefully, it will come down and be captured. A very expensive Green-cheek conure was loose most of the day but finally caught, and a Red-billed Fire finch was up in the rafters in the afternoon. A couple of us were still in the hall as the last vendors left, when the little finch flew down almost at our feet! He was hungry and thirsty, and after a bit of coaxing, he was captured--his new owner will be very happy to see him! I've never seen a loose bird land so close to humans, and he hopped all around us for quite some time, not really showing any fear, just not ready to be caught. He is in with a pair of RB Fires I bought today, until I can reunite him with his owner.

Now I am ready to call it a day, it's been a long one, but I always enjoy these marts so much.

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Sun May 17, 2015 10:30 am

Glad it went well, Sally :)

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon May 18, 2015 11:17 am

I was SO upset that I missed this one, because the one in Grapevine was awesome. It was my first, and I plan on making it a habit of going to as many as I can in my area. I'm just sad because I recently decided to get another owl finch pair, and I'm sure there were a ton at the mart.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon May 18, 2015 10:26 pm

I spent most of the afternoon at the Cleburne Conference Center trying to catch the elusive lovebird. It made it through the weekend--between the cage I left with food and water, plus a water puddle on the floor (I think the rain came under the door), plus the seed that was in the cracks in the cement. This little one is tough, and it was one of the hardest to catch ever. I had tried playing lovebird calls on my phone, hiding under a skirted table while lying on my side, trying to peek out to see if it came near the catch cage. I ran fishing line from the cage door to the table, but that little bugger wasn't buying any of it.

I was about to give up, when two Center employees came and said they would catch it. Those two young fellows ran all over that hall, chasing the bird, trying to get it tired enough to come down low enough to be caught. Got it in the net once, only to have it pop right back out. If it had not been for the persistence of those two young men, that bird would be loose still. He is now in my house, waiting to find out if his owner will claim him. No one reported him missing at the mart.

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Tue May 19, 2015 8:09 am

I'm so bummed that I had to miss the mart this time, but I had my final mountain bike race of the season on Saturday so I couldn't go. On a positive note, I ended up fifth in state, so I'm happy about that.
KarenB