double flight cage question

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

double flight cage question

Post by Tish » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:50 pm

I was thinking about my future with birds and would really like to get 2 English budgies. My question is I have a double flight cage that has a divider in it, because I had to split my 2 zebra finches from my 6 society finches. However I was thinking when my zebra or my societies pass on in the future, can I put English budgies in one side of my divided cage and have a couple finches in the other side? Could that cause problems or would that be fine to do in the future? Each divided half is 32 by 18 by 36.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: double flight cage question

Post by paul-inAZ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Thats plenty of room.
Preference would be a cage divided into two side by side rather than stacked.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm

It's side by side, it won't stress out the finches, or the budgies won't try to bite them if they come close to the divider?
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Tish wrote: It's side by side, it won't stress out the finches, or the budgies won't try to bite them if they come close to the divider?
I use to keep budgies, finches, cockatiels, canaries + more all in one aviairy. They were fine. Although now that I have two avaries I keep them seperated. I don't think the budgies will try to bite them through the cage. English budgies don't generally go for finches anyway (or at least the males don't) I would say it's the females that are more aggressive.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 pm

What about American budgie, how are they with finches living very close?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Tish wrote: What about American budgie, how are they with finches living very close?
What is an American budgie? I only have Australian and English budgies!

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:14 am

Australian budgie, is listed here as an American budgie in stores.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 am

Tish wrote: Australian budgie, is listed here as an American budgie in stores.
Oh that would make more sense then!

Finnie
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Finnie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Tish wrote: What about American budgie, how are they with finches living very close?
They should be fine. Just don't put perches, plants and toys right up against the divider. Finches don't seem to hang out on the bars so much like the budgies do.

Budgies will definitely nip toes if they can reach them. But it shouldn't be a problem if the finches have good landing spots a few inches away from the divider where they can't be reached.
-Finnie

34 Budgies
13 Gouldian Finches
13 Society Finches
6 Owl Finches
4 Yellow Face Star finches
16 Bourke's Parakeets
4 Cockatiels

5 chickens!

OMG this signature is so outdated! Make that 50 chickens!

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:33 am

You could get a thin piece of plexiglass/perspex cut to the size of the divider, and slide it in WITH the divider, so that the budgies cannot bite finch toes or tails. Finches can and sometimes will land on the bars of the cage, would be unfortunate if they did that next to a curious budgie.

You could also just use cardboard, but then it blocks a lot of the light going through, and your view from anywhere but the front.

We wanted to split our double flight cage at the 2/3 mark, as we had 4 birds for one side and two for the other (mean pair, one could NOT be left with the others, she'd attack to kill.) So we cut a piece of plexiglass to fit where we wanted it, and I used a sharpie marker to draw lines on it so no one would fly into it and hurt themselves. But if you can use the original divider grate and just slip some plexi in with that, it makes it so much easier than rigging it up securely yourself.

BTW, English budgies and Australian (or "American") budgies are all the exact same species. The English ones have just been selectively bred to be larger, heftier birds. Genetically, they are no more different than a pro basketball player and a jockey--both are humans, one just happens to have tall genes and one doesn't.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:38 am

Also, that big double flight cage (I have three) is sturdy enough to put a smaller cage on top. So you could put your pair of zebras into a smaller, lighter cage on top, and then get your budgies. A 30x18x18" cage is big enough for a pair of zebras, better is a 30x30x18", and both easily sit on top of a big double flight. You can also combine two of the just-mentioned cages end to end (remove an end from each and wire or zip-tie them together securely) to make a 5 foot wide cage, which also sits nicely on top of the big cage. I have two like that, and two individuals on top of my double flights.

More birds is always better!!! =)) =)) =))