What's The Problem With Round Cages?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: What's The Problem With Round Cages?

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Amazon1610
You're welcome!

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Dave wrote: I also think that ANY all-wire cage is a problem. I've seen flighty, nervous birds calm down when they're put in a box cage, with only the front being wire. They feel much more secure, I think, without seeing things come at them from all sides.

I had a large plastic cage once, and the bird in there were bouncing around like ping-pong balls. I painted the insides with flat paint, so it was opaque from all sides except the front. The bird calmed right down.
I like putting my birds' cages, the few that I've owned anyway, in the corners of a room or near a wall, preferably both, for that very reason. That way there's a solid surface covering one or two sides of the cage they don't have to worry about. Never had any negative behavior; if they want get away if I'm changing the bowls or cage setup, they just scamper to the perches near the wall.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:46 am

Amazon1610 wrote:
Flight Feathers wrote: Round cages are far to up and down. My saying is “birds aren’t helicopters.” :D Cages need to be nice and long so the birds can fly across. Round cages are made with no thought to the poor bird that will have to live inside it... I’ve also heard that it can be scary for the birds because there are no corners so they can feel threatened (This is just something I heard) However I do use round cages for separation cages or for when I have sick Turks or budgies but they only stay in the cage for a couple of days.
I love your saying! You're right, most birds, just by my observation, prefer room to fly horizontally. I know now that finches and canaries in particular absolutely need lots of room length wise because they fly often. And yeah, I'm sure housing them in round cages in an emergency for a few days wouldn't kill them, and it might save you money since pet stores typically sell a few small, cheap ones. At least mine does.
Haha thanks! Well I was given one for free so wasn’t gonna chuck it out! And the other one I bought for very cheap.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:48 am

Amazon1610 wrote:
Flight Feathers wrote: Round cages are far to up and down. My saying is “birds aren’t helicopters.” :D Cages need to be nice and long so the birds can fly across. Round cages are made with no thought to the poor bird that will have to live inside it... I’ve also heard that it can be scary for the birds because there are no corners so they can feel threatened (This is just something I heard) However I do use round cages for separation cages or for when I have sick Turks or budgies but they only stay in the cage for a couple of days.
I love your saying! You're right, most birds, just by my observation, prefer room to fly horizontally. I know now that finches and canaries in particular absolutely need lots of room length wise because they fly often. And yeah, I'm sure housing them in round cages in an emergency for a few days wouldn't kill them, and it might save you money since pet stores typically sell a few small, cheap ones. At least mine does.
Yes birds definitley need lots of flying space! Even small birds like finches! It’s sad when people keep birds in tiny cages where they can’t fly :(
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:08 am

Amazon1610 same here all my cages in my house (two) are next to the door that’s a big glass one so it’s like a window then the back is a wooden cupboard so they’re only open on the fromt because the side there’s a curtain half round them
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:10 am

Icearstorm Ano I think it’s crazy I was watching a show the other night showing how the increase in health problems has occurred since everyone used to buy fresh veg and meat from the markets to now when everyone buys packet food
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Fraza

It's definitely concerning. At least Europe has more regulation when it comes to agriculture. Here in the US we don't test chemicals as thoroughly, and a few of the people in charge of approving pesticides and other products also work for the companies themselves...

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:50 am

Icearstorm I don’t think it will ever be resolved where money’s concerned nothing else matters with people
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Dave

Hanging a sheet over the back and parts of the side has the same effect. Which I do anyway for 2 reasons. It protects the wall and you can just chuck the sheet in the washer every once in awhile to clean, and I also use it to cover them at night.

I didn't used to cover them at night, then my hen started laying. Turning the temp in the room down - the only place for the cage was very close to the register - and covering to match the natural day/night cycle (more or less) - turned off the urge to lay eggs.

Use a flat, not fitted sheet. Seed and feathers and dander will gather in the corners of a fitted sheet.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.