Questions about aviaries

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
finchescb
Hatchling
Hatchling

Questions about aviaries

Post by finchescb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 am

I’m looking to get an aviary for my finches. I need an acrylic aviary that has air filters. Please let me know if you have any recommendations for places that sell them and for aviaries.

Also, how do you clean the aviary and keep the finches in? How do you catch the finches without any getting out?

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Questions about aviaries

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am

Acrylic is expensive, but I'm sure what you want is possible.

If you can't find one already made, especially one with filtered ventilation, you might check with Do It Yourself fish tank people. They make acrylic tanks frequently, and there are YouTube videos about how to do it. You might find one of these hobbyists near you, too.

Aviaries sometimes have slide-out trays at the bottom. Pull the tray out, clean it, and slide the tray back in. Some even have a flap to cover the slot opening when the tray is out.

On walk-in aviaries, people usually have food slots, so only a small opening is there when the feed and water is put in.

Also, they have half-doors, so the keeper has to stoop to get into the aviary. The top of the door is closed. Birds usually try to fly out over the keepers head, but they can't with a half-door.

I've seen people use beaded curtains over the doorway. Even if the door is open, the birds are reluctant to fly through the beaded curtain.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries