My waxbill birdroom

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My waxbill birdroom

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:03 pm

lem2bert

Yea I guess so Betty, the pillars will be boxed in with ply board and I may well fit a couple shelves in each space and could use plastic storage boxes on the shelves,

Could become very handy for spare drinkers, feeders, perches and nesting equipment etc :mrgreen:

The idea also being that I don't actually want anything what so ever on the floor of me birdroom, as like this it will be very easy to keep me birdroom floor clean :-BD

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Stuart whiting

I hear what you are saying, it would be easier to clean with nothing on the floor ! Great job =D> looking forward to the next update !! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:45 pm

lem2bert

Cheers Betty :D

Yea definitely makes it so much easier to clean the floor,

nothing is worse than having a birdroom floor that is full of clutter that has to continuesly be moved every time when cleaning :mrgreen:

Speak soon

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Stuart whiting, looks amazing!!! How is your ankle healing?
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:28 am

Shannylee

Cheers Sharon :D

Yea me foot is ok now thank you, get a few twinges on it whilst walking but virtually walking normal now :mrgreen:

As you can see I've been busy getting the raised floor of me indoor waxbill flight ready to build the frame work when money allows :-BD

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:55 am

Wow Stuart this looks like it will be a great place to house your birds.
Indoors I make do with a spare room as a bird room, but it's carpet and it has some immovable very large furniture including a refrigerator and a non-functioning stove that make it hard to use the space efficiently and annoying to clean.
~Dylan

~~~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:15 am

Sheather

Cheers Dylan :D

Using spare rooms in the house for foreign birds is a superb way of housing the birds, in my last house I used to used a small spare bedroom as me birdroom, I completely fitted it out as a birdroom :mrgreen:

The birds can gain warmth in the room from the rest of the house without actually having to supply hardly any heat in the room itself,

The refrigerator you could perhaps use to put made up egg foods, soak seeds and live food in for yer birds, this would be ideal as I will be having a small fridge in me birdroom aswell, to me this is vital :mrgreen:

The old disused stove that you've got in yer room I'd cut a section of work top, place the work top on top of the stove and use it as a additional food preparation area etc or similar :-BD

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:25 am

I do both - all seed and veggies and all else is stored in the fridge and I work on the stove top as a counter. But I also keep some of my own food in this spare fridge and occasionally sneak in at night to get it, when all the birds give me angry stares for bothering them.
~Dylan

~~~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Sheather wrote: I also keep some of my own food in this spare fridge and occasionally sneak in at night to get it, when all the birds give me angry stares for bothering them.
:-J.....

......my lighting actually stays on all of the time 24/7,

If I should really need to go into me birdroom late in the evening they aren't as likely to be erratic and get night fright because they can easily still see everything :mrgreen:

I use a 40w night light in me birdroom, it's actually bright enough for birds to still eat late into the evening if they wish to but not overly bright to disturb any birds that want to sleep until daybreak,

if any birds should ever get disturbed during the night they can easily jump straight back onto their roosting perches etc :-BD

if it was total darkness and they got night fright they could seriously damage and smash themselves up in trying to find the perches again

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Latest exterior birdroom pic :mrgreen:

After a bit of a Lay off from building all of me cages and full length indoor flight during the winter months I'm now back on track and currently finishing off the interior of me birdroom,

I'll post more pics later on during the progress and finishing stages of the room :-BD

Speak soon
image.jpeg

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: I use a 40w night light in me birdroom, it's actually bright enough for birds to still eat late into the evening if they wish to but not overly bright to disturb any birds that want to sleep until daybreak,

if any birds should ever get disturbed during the night they can easily jump straight back onto their roosting perches etc :-BD

if it was total darkness and they got night fright they could seriously damage and smash themselves up in trying to find the perches again
Is it a yellow incandescent bulb? or is it red?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Stuart whiting

Hi Stuie,

Glad to see that your bird house is coming along nicely.

Noticed that you were MIA for quite sometime.
Hope that all is well with you and yours (?)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:56 pm

GouldianGuy wrote:
Stuart whiting wrote: I use a 40w night light in me birdroom, it's actually bright enough for birds to still eat late into the evening if they wish to but not overly bright to disturb any birds that want to sleep until daybreak,

Is it a yellow incandescent bulb? or is it red?
Hi mate,

To be honest there's nothing special about the light bulb and fitting, it's just a normal white low energy 40w house hold bulb,

Even though there's light in the birdroom all of the time the birds seem to know when they need to all go to roost and will all sleep regardless to wheather the light is on or not,

I like the idea of night lighting because during the winter the small waxbills and finches can feed more to sustain their body weight through the winter nights and also during the summer the parents can still feed youngsters at dusk when light levels otherwise could be quite low :thumbup:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:04 pm

lovezebs wrote: Stuart whiting

Hi Stuie,

Glad to see that your bird house is coming along nicely.

Noticed that you were MIA for quite sometime.
Hope that all is well with you and yours (?)
Cheers Elana,

I'll be glad when me birdroom is all done as its taken me a lot of time and money so far when money allows,

Meself and family are all well and yes yer right I was for a while off radar but this was mainly because of family commitments, issues etc aswell as me constantly doing a lot of me fishing around southern England :mrgreen:

Not enough hrs in a day :(( .....lols

Be lucky

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:30 am

That is just lovely! I wish I had one! Your birds will love it