Do you have an aviary?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
HoangQuan
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by HoangQuan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 am

summert85
You dont need to have coconut tree to have a coconut nest :P, just go to the store and buy one :P
As I said before, this is the new nest that the Zebra finches chose. But they usually be distracted by the strawberry..

and social's choice:

This is my strawberry finches, now we can hardly recognize the male one, right? :P

readingfc
Mature
Mature

Post by readingfc » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:19 am

was that the strawberry finch that was mostly on the floor in the video?
30+ finches, including Zebra's, 8 Societies,2 Star Finches, 3 Owl Finches, 2 Silver Bills, 2 Diamond Doves, 6 Chinese Painted Quails, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 3 Pond Fish and 20 Tropical Fish

HoangQuan
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by HoangQuan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:13 am

readingfc wrote:was that the strawberry finch that was mostly on the floor in the video?
Yes! that's her. standing right beside her is the male, which almost finished the molt :P, but you still can see some red spots on his body. Both of them were in the clip and theyve been staying in my aviary for more than a year :), hope I can have some chicks the next breeding season :)
why you asked me that? did that strawberry finch change too much to recognize? :roll:

summert85
Incubating
Incubating

Post by summert85 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:49 am

HoangQuan,

you were right. i went to our grocery store today and saw some coconuts. hehe so i brought one. well see if i can drill it into a nest. :D
*Summer*
Pair of Gouldians, 4 Owls + 5 hatchlings, 4 Society + 3 Babies
Bunch of Zebras, Shaft tails + 2 hatchlings

http://www.ilovegouldianfinches.com

nrosu
Pip
Pip

Post by nrosu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:20 am

Really nice the ideea with coconuts. I will try it to on my birds. Thanks.

urbantiger
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by urbantiger » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:48 pm

I have a new aviary completed early this year
9' wide x 17' long x 6' high

Alec's Finches
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Alec's Finches » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 pm

i thoght all ur birds got massacarde :?:
Alec,
Experienced Breeder of Zebra Finches,Java Finches,European Goldfinches and Red Factor Canaries.

urbantiger
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by urbantiger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 am

Alec's Finches wrote:i thoght all ur birds got massacarde :?:
:( they did !

but i still got the aviary ...

just waitin to make sure its clear before starting to restock it

safarichick101
Pip
Pip

Re: Do you have an aviary?

Post by safarichick101 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 am

GASP! How did they die?

I want an aviary, maybe when i grow up and move out, lol. I really want some finches of my own, along with a cockatiel. lol.
11 beautiful hens, 1 tiny but mighty rooster named Canello, 2 shelter dogs named sparky and rose, 2 cats named figaro and vanessa, too many guppies to count, a rabbit named bugsy, No finches yet.
:i.kokin: :i.kinka: :i.kokin:

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:22 am

The Rose Aviary. This was a 6' x 2' closet converted into a breeding aviary. It houses a pair of Red Throat Parrot Finches. It has great lighting, 2 nest to choose from, greenery on the outside, mural on the inside, natuaral perches, feed dishes, bath, waterer, grit cup, eggfood plate, etc. either on the door or on the plant stand. Bottom is linoluem covered with butcher paper.

steph
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by steph » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Candace - Your aviary looks awesome! Was that a closet before? Did you paint the rose mural yourself? Its absolutely stunning! What a neat idea! How many birds can you keep in there?

BTW: Sorry, I've been spelling your name wrong in other posts! I just noticed that its "Candace", not "Candice"!

Marcos
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Marcos » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 pm

I have to say, some of the pics posted on here are impressive indeed ! It really shows how creative, people can be.

As to my aviary......well, if you can call a converted Cockatiel cage an aviary, I guess its an aviary. But, the little guys seem to like it, especially since they do get out of cage time. But the cage is well designed. It has a lot in a little space, but it still gives them a bit of flight and the ability to move their feathers a whole lot.

Anyway, below are two pics taken tonight that are representative of my version of an aviary. In the upper right corner is a ladder with a seed dish. One of the finches is up there feasting. and in the center, I got an "action" shot of my other finch playing with his toy.
Attachments
TopNotchAviary2.jpg
TopNotchAviary.jpg

cntrymeadow
Mature
Mature

Post by cntrymeadow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:53 pm

I am seriously (with hub's blessing!) considering getting a rather large aviary to put all of our finch in.
With that big of an aviary how do you catch the birds???
Right now our finch are in separate (1 pair per cage) flight cages and I can just reach in there and get them.

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:22 pm

I also have an aviary. See pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/udmoran/MyAviary#

Catching the birds is a real problem for me! I had to catch all my budgies once for a scaly mites treatment and it wasn't funny. I used a bird net to catch them and my husband and I worked as a team to corner them one by one and catch them. However, I had to remove some of the branches and flower pots to have easier access. Needless to say all birds were stressed after that...

Luckily that was the only time I had to do this! The only other time I was catching birds with the net was when I sold some of my young quail and they are relatively easy to catch with the net. However, you have to be fast too... When they panic they can fly up to the ceiling! But I created "traps" with mealworms in a cup and the net hovering above... ;-)

I do think the aviary is worth all the work though, it's so much nicer to see them fly around freely and not being confined to small cages. But I guess it's only feasible if you keep the birds for fun and not for breeding purposes. I had a couple cordon bleus hatch last year though, and the button quail, and one budgie.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Looks to be a very nice setup,good job :D
Bill