Time to get of the pot or...............

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
bill2468
Pip
Pip

Time to get of the pot or...............

Post by bill2468 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Decided to get the 30"x18"18" at Petco at the on line special price (about $29.00 +frt &tax=$39.00 as opposed to $39.95 + tax) so I could stop scratching a bald spot while looking for a hot deal.
I visited a local pet shop and was looking at a cage about 24" long that had about 12 zebras. They were hopping about, there were toys on the floor and cord with color wood bits hanging.
I am now looking for a short perch or two (wod plastic or cement or make some from my neighbors cherry tree that I know has never been sprayed)
I also like the thin rope covered flexible perch thing. A pair of water tubes.
Will make a pacifier or two in my spare time while I look for a deal on a pair of zebras and I think there should be room for a pair of spice finch too (30" may not be a pent houst but it is not a little studio apartment either)

The hunt goes on,

BiLL

A girl at work said her grandmother keeps zebra finches and may have some new stock.

To avoid inbreeding is a male and female from different batches any different from a pair from the same batch????
(I took earth science, not biology?)

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sat May 20, 2006 11:46 pm

Yea! Congrats! You'll have to let us know when you get your birds. Couple of suggestions:

- Finches won't usually play with toys, so don't bother. They do love swings, though. Just be sure not to overcrowd the cage.

- Check out finchniche.com for a list of safe/poisonous plants. Unfortunately, cherry is down as poisonous. I buy manzanita from petstores and perchup cement perches (gets a little expensive, though).

- Be sure to include cuttlebone while you're out shopping - my zebras love it. Helps with calcium and shaping beaks (a little).

- Inbreeding - If you want to breed (and with zebras you may not have a choice!!), make sure your male and female are from totally different families. Same parents but different birthday (clutch) still means brother and sister. Same rules apply as with people.

- If you do want to breed, you'll need a nest. I've found my zebras love covered wicker nests.

Hope this helps!

Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun May 21, 2006 1:14 am

30x18x18 is not big enough to be a permanent home for two pairs--you may find that the zebras pick on the spices.

I second the suggestion for manzanita branches. They are easy to clean and come in a variety of sizes.

I would avoid a rope perch. Any threaded perch runs the risk of a bird getting toenails caught in it, or getting small fibers from the perch wrapped around the toes/feet which can cause the toe to die and fall off. If the nail gets caught in it, the bird can kill itself trying to break free.

If you are going to try to use water bottles, make sure to provide a bowl of water as well until you see each and every bird successfully drinking from the water bottle... if it is not a water bottle but a tube-style waterer, you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Good luck!