What I would do different

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: What I would do different

Post by Sally » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:12 am

TailFeathers MLaRue has not logged onto the forum since December of 2013. When reading/responding to old topics, it is always a good idea to check out the member's profile before asking questions of them. It is fairly safe to say that someone is no longer a member of the forum if they haven't logged on in a year or more. The other option is to send them a PM. If they have set their preferences to get notifications when they have a PM, they may answer, but many do not even get PMs any longer.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

TailFeathers
Mature
Mature

Post by TailFeathers » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:09 am

Sally wrote: TailFeathers MLaRue has not logged onto the forum since December of 2013. When reading/responding to old topics, it is always a good idea to check out the member's profile before asking questions of them. It is fairly safe to say that someone is no longer a member of the forum if they haven't logged on in a year or more. The other option is to send them a PM. If they have set their preferences to get notifications when they have a PM, they may answer, but many do not even get PMs any longer.
Yeah I didn't notice that since I used a filter for new posts and his showed up, or maybe it was late when I did the search like it is now. Sorry

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:42 am

Sally

I know this is an old post, but I know you are also still here! Have your thoughts changed at all? How did the CBs do in the 34x18x18 cages? How did the strawberries do in the 32x21x35 HQ? I know you still like the 40x20x20. :)
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
gold-breasted waxbill 2 pr
cordon bleu blue capped, 2 pr, 1 M
cordon bleu red cheeked M
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
gouldian red head norm. M, yellow white breast M
green singer M
canary, gloster, corona, blue pied, M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Derk

My most prolific Strawberry pair were in the 32x21x35 HQ single flight all to themselves. I think you can breed many species in 34x18x18, but it is a struggle. I have sold half of my 34x18x18 cages, and once I have a different setup, I am going to get rid of most of the rest of them. Quality Cages 34x18x18 is a great cage for many species, but not the less domesticated ones, which really need as much space and privacy that you can give them. I will keep one or two of these cages to use for foster Societies.

I will be getting three HQ double flights (or maybe they are A&E), which measure 64x21x35, and I am thinking that I could put three breeding pairs of waxbills in each and see how they do. It would still not be the recommended spacing for breeding birds, but I may give it a try.

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:17 am

Sally

Is this the cage you are referring to:
http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=69

That extra 4" sure costs a lot more. Are these cages stronger built than the 30" x 18" x 18"? They look like they might be. Do they drop the price when ordering multiple cages?

I also like the 64x21x35 double flight cages by HQ/A&E. I wish they made them in a way that you could stack them. They are wonderful but require a lot of floor space.
Sally wrote: My most prolific Strawberry pair were in the 32x21x35 HQ single flight all to themselves
I have one of these. I'll have to give it a try.
I also have a 30" x 18"x 35(?)". I guess it also worth a shot.

Have you downsized you flock numbers?
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:09 pm

Derk

That is close to what I have, except I have the divided version of this cage: http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_p ... ducts_id=5 Wow, they have gone up again in price, they used to be $88, now $102. I was so lucky to have gotten all mine used from a canary breeder. I have no idea if they offer discounts for multiple cages.

These cages are definitely stronger and better quality than the typical 30x18x18, and they will last forever if taken care of. The one disadvantage to any cage made of galvanized wire that is not powder coated is that the wire is tough on feathers. If you have a species that likes to hang on the sides of the cage, they will shred their tails in galvanized cages. For breeding birds, it is not a biggie, but for show birds, it is a disaster.

I too love the A&E and HQ double flights and also wish they made the stand just a little bit shorter. With 8' ceilings, I can't stack them, and I would love to be able to have a double-decker. I guess someone could build a sturdy wooden stand of the appropriate height and not use the stand that comes with these cages.

Yes, my flock has downsized considerably. I haven't been breeding for some time (almost two years now :shock: ), and I have lost a fair number of birds that simply got old. When you buy imports, you have no idea of their age, so when I find one dead on the bottom of the cage, with no hint of illness, I just assume it was old.

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:13 am

Sally
when I find one dead on the bottom of the cage, with no hint of illness, I just assume it was old.
I have decided this is something a finch keeper needs to resign themself to once they get more than a few birds. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but I always went back to the fact I still have my first finch and if I am doing something wrong, then why is he still okay and looking for girl friends?? Fortunately, it does not happen very often, but it is always sad. So, thank-you for making the statement. I makes me feel better about a couple birds I did lose recently.
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:16 am

Sally
I guess someone could build a sturdy wooden stand of the appropriate height and not use the stand that comes with these cages.
Can the double flights be removed from their stands? I thought I once asked someone, and they said the legs were a continuation of the metal frame forming the cage structure. I assumed you would have to cut the legs off.
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:38 am

Derk wrote: Sally
I guess someone could build a sturdy wooden stand of the appropriate height and not use the stand that comes with these cages.
Can the double flights be removed from their stands? I thought I once asked someone, and they said the legs were a continuation of the metal frame forming the cage structure. I assumed you would have to cut the legs off.
The one double flight I have now is an older model HQ, and it looks like the cage part is fastened onto the legs/frame, so I think it could be done. I have 5 single HQ flights, and they definitely can be lifted off the legs/frame. I have one more single flight that is slightly different than the others, so maybe it is an A&E, but it also can be lifted off the legs/frame.

I'm getting three double flights from finchmix22, and I believe those are A&E, so I'll look at those and see if they can be lifted off the frame. I am picking them up, and thought I could load all three in the back of my truck. They measure 64x21, and my truck bed is long enough, but the width is 63.5, so I will have to do some rearranging or make two trips. I'm thinking if I can separate the cages from the legs/frames, I might be able to stack everything better.

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:53 am

Sally
I am super envious! :mrgreen:

Yes, please let me know about the double flights. I have the two singles previously mentioned and yes, they come off the stands as well.
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Sally wrote: Derk
<snippage>
I too love the A&E and HQ double flights and also wish they made the stand just a little bit shorter. With 8' ceilings, I can't stack them, and I would love to be able to have a double-decker. I guess someone could build a sturdy wooden stand of the appropriate height and not use the stand that comes with these cages.

<snippage>
Making your own stand (or a found object of the right size, such as one or more coffee tables) is probably the simplest solution.

Or = saw the ends off the legs. You may need to drill new holes for the shelf. If the legs are the same diameter all along the length, you should be able to install the wheels into the sawn-off end. Might also be a good idea to take a file to the cut-off end to smooth it.

Similar Prevue cages do have the legs as an integral part of the cage, so in that case, you would have to saw them off to the length you want. Not forgetting to account for wheels if you intend to use them.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.