Building my new 360 square foot aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Building my new 360 square foot aviary

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Caryota_gigas

I just love watching your videos.

Your birds, and aviaries, are wonderful and I have to admit, that I am terribly jealous of you, lol.

Do you do all the building by yourself?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Caryota_gigas
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Caryota_gigas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 pm

lovezebs wrote: Caryota_gigas

I just love watching your videos.

Your birds, and aviaries, are wonderful and I have to admit, that I am terribly jealous of you, lol.

Do you do all the building by yourself?
Yes I do all the building, that's why it takes so long to get around to everything :roll:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Caryota_gigas

Did you have any building or construction background when you first started on these projects? Or did you just pick up hammer and nails one day :)

I would love to do a much MUCH smaller project, just outside of my bird room window, so that the kids could spend some time outdoors in the Summer, but really haven't a clue as how or where to start (without it ending up like an eye sore chicken coop that would make the neigbours complain, lol).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Caryota_gigas
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Caryota_gigas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:07 pm

lovezebs wrote: Caryota_gigas

Did you have any building or construction background when you first started on these projects? Or did you just pick up hammer and nails one day :)

I would love to do a much MUCH smaller project, just outside of my bird room window, so that the kids could spend some time outdoors in the Summer, but really haven't a clue as how or where to start (without it ending up like an eye sore chicken coop that would make the neigbours complain, lol).
I build things all the time and have done for work for many years. Having said that, Aviaries are not too complicated and provided you buy the right materials (things that won't rot or rust etc) then you could do it yourself with some basic tools. The Pheasantasiam I tried to build as cheap as possible and it cost around NZ$1500 which is about a quarter of what Strawbs' cage cost. The addition I am currently doing to the Pheasantasiam I am doing on the cheap again to save money and use up materials I have laying around. It has cost less than $200 so far...

Caryota_gigas
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Caryota_gigas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Wow it has been a long time since I last updated this thread. I see that I never added info about the aviary extensions that I mentioned, so here it is: New Aviary Build
It's good to be back!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 am

Caryota_gigas

Good to see you back, and still as busy as ever.
~Elana~