Catching birds?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
2birds4now
Pip
Pip

Catching birds?

Post by 2birds4now » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:13 pm

We just picked up a new cage over the weekend and I am afraid of trying to catch our two finches to put them in their new home. How do I do this easily?

My husband will actually be the one to catch them, but any tips I can provide him with will be appreciated.
Amanda

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:46 pm

I hate trying to catch a finch so I avoid it as much as possible. I usually open the new cage, match up an opening on the old cage and shoo them in.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Catching birds?

Post by tammieb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:03 pm

2birds4now wrote:We just picked up a new cage over the weekend and I am afraid of trying to catch our two finches to put them in their new home. How do I do this easily?
I would take the two cages into a dimly lit bathroom and make the switch. Remove the perches, seed cups and etc. from the cage the birds are in to make it easier to catch them. If your cage is one of those with two doors in the front, all the better! Put both hands in the cage, it'll speed the process, reducing the stress on the birds.

Also, I would make the switch in the morning so the birds have time to get acquainted with the new cage before bedtime.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Ravenlock
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Ravenlock » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 pm

I just cover the cage with a dark blanket. I stick my head under the blanket and wait for my eyes to adjust, then reach in a grab them. They can't see me coming and usually just sit there ripe for the grabbing! :)

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:05 am

Awsome ideas!
Thank you,
Tina