Safe building materials?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
NDan
Nestling
Nestling

Safe building materials?

Post by NDan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:50 am

I'm trying to figure out what kind of glues I can use inside a flight cage. Is there a recommendation against silicon glue? or other kinds of glue?
I'm dreaming of putting a castle inside the cage and need to be sure its washable and safe.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:03 am

hi n dan this may help you....

Fumes from Teflon, Silver stone etc. types of cookware are dangerous at any level of heat - they do not have to be over heated . This would also include heat lamps with a Teflon coating.

Alcoholic beverages, Ammonia, Antifreeze, Ant syrup or paste, Arsenic, Asbestos, Automotive products, Bathroom bowl cleaner, Bleach Boric acid, Camphophenique, Carbon monoxide, Charcoal lighter fluid, Cigarette smoke, Chlordane , Chlorine, Copper and brass cleaners, Corn and wart remover, Deodorants, Detergents, Diazanon (DDT), Disinfectants, Drain cleaners, Epoxy glue kit, Flea bombs, Flea collars , Floor polish, Formaldehyde, Furniture polish, Garden sprays, Gasoline, Gun cleaners, Hair dyes, Hair spray, Herbicides, Indelible felt-tip markers, Insecticides, Iodine, Kerosene, Lead based house paint, Lighter fluid, Lye, Matches, Model cement, Mothballs, Muriatic acid, Mushrooms, Nail polish, Nail polish remover, Nitrogen dioxide, Oven cleaner, Overheated nonstick cookware fumes, Paint remover, Paint thinner, Perfume, Permanent wave solutions, Pesticides, Photographic solutions, Pine oil, Prescription and nonprescription medicines, Rodenticides, Rubbing alcohol, Shaving lotion, Shellac, Shoe polish, Silver polish, Snail bait, Spot removers, Spray starch Strychnine, Sulfuric acid, Suntan lotions, Super Glue, surgical acrylics, Toilet bowl cleaners, Turpentine, wax, Weed killers, Window wash solvent, Wood preservatives.

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

NDan
Nestling
Nestling

Glues

Post by NDan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 pm

I saw a recommendation to use "Plumbers Glue" as a bird safe adhesive. They also said that glue guns gave off toxic vapors. But then I wonder if glue from the glue guns is safe after it solidifies.
Any opinions or experience with these 2?

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Yes. I made a breeding cage out of some left over 16g heavy duty wire. It is so thick the cage is basically two 36 x 36" squares of wire folded at right angles and tie strapped together.

When I cut out doors for the front and sides, I was really worried about the birds injuring themselves on any left over sharp edges, so I glued plastic (like the consistency of swimming pool liners) over the edges of all the openings.

At first I used Elmers non-toxic but it dries so slow and the plastic and coated wire have no absorbancy at all, it mostly just dripped down the cage and made a huge mess. I then used a glue gun and standard craft glue gun sticks on the cooler setting so it wouldnt melt the plastic. The whole project took a couple of hours start to finish and we put the birds in the next day. No ill effects from the glue. One of the doors is for the outside bath so the bottom edge of that comes loose but all the other pieces are intact.

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:32 pm

klubertanz cage supply has special edging for around doors -- they have a crimp-on metal version and a snap-on plastic type. No glue necessary.

That being said . . . last time I needed a glue/sealant for a cage I hung around the hardware store for hours, reading the fine print on every product before I picked one out. Of course I can't remember what it was called, what a big help I am!