How to join (2) cages together ?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Roc
Pip
Pip

How to join (2) cages together ?

Post by Roc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 pm

I've seen photos where ppl have joined (2) bird cages together to make a wider cage & think this is a wonderful idea to be able to customize and create whatever size you desire, especially since I don't have alot of room for that the dimensions of the larger flight cages out there.

I understand that you would have (2) cages and remove (1) side panel from each cage then attach the outter walls together with zip ties. I just can't figure out how the bottom trays would slide out? All the cages online are normal cages w/built in bases attached where the tray slides in/out for easy cleaning.

Today when I was cleaning my canary cage I detached the cage from base to see if there was a gap in the cage available for the tray to slide in and out without the base and no luck. I would have to lift the entire cage in order to remove the tray since the cage was flush to surface, no gap. Would I have to create a gap at the bottom?

If someone can list a picture of the bottom of their combined cages, that would help?
Thanks!

Roc

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Re: How to join (2) cages together ?

Post by Ursula » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Not sure what kind of cage you have where it wouldn't work. If the bottom trays of the cages slide out in front, the sides of the cages can be combined and the trays would still come out of the front.

I combined 2 of these flight cages for my parrotlets:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=13392

We clipped off the cage bars of the side panels, one on the left, one on the right. The we combined the cages with strong zip ties. The trays both still slide out in front. The only change that we had to make is screw on the tops a little more to the left and right so they meet in the middle. (On the single cages they stick out left and right, now they just stick out a little more.)

Let me know if you need pictures, then I could take some.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Roc
Pip
Pip

Post by Roc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks for the example, unfortunately, I need something on a much smaller scale due to limited space. Here is an example of a cage I would like to combine:

http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-SP ... light+cage

It seems that once the cage base is removed there is a gap of space between the pull-out tray & cage panels. Unless I can find an alternative that would fit better as a pull-out tray.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Roc

nelloyello11
Weaning
Weaning

Post by nelloyello11 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Roc do you already have the Prevue Hendrix cage you linked to?

If not, I recommend trying it with two 30x18 breeder style cages instead.
These ones for example:
http://www.petco.com/product/114152/Pet ... age-114152

This particular one, you wouldn't even need to cut/remove any of the panels. You can simply flip the right end of one and the left end of the other up so they lay flat on the top of their respective cages, and then zips tie them together. This would give you 60" of flight space, which I'm sure they would love! Doing it this way, each half would have its own tray that slides out.
Nelissa
1 NG (Peter), 2 SF/FF (Astrid & Nina) and 2 BC (Desmond & Penelope) Zebra finches
2 Owl Finches (Hedwig & Fawkes)
Painted turtle (Keeker)

carlamay
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by carlamay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I agree with Nelissa - the plastic flare out at the bottom is your problem.You could cut the side angle and join but a different configuration of cage would be much easier! I assume the flare out is to trap seed but it would serve the same purpose if cut and joined carefully.
10 Owl Finches, 15 Pied Societies, 8 Color Bred Canaries and a blind Gouldian, Veronica
2 schnauzers, Herb & Stella[/color][/size][/font]
1 Sheltie mix, Mickey

not much time for a life!

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:34 am

I joined two of the petco cages together, it works quite easily. We did indeed just flip the sides up on the top and left them there. Once we are sure it's working out (5 of 6 zebras want to be alpha finch, only one will accept being subordinate) we may remove them, otherwise we thought it best to leave the cages intact just in case.

To help contain seed, I took some stiff clear plastic, cut strips to fit the bottom edges (below the lowest cross-wire on the cage) and just wove them in and out of the bars all the way around. It seems to be working great for containing seed & chaff.

The petco cages are a really nice size, and you absolutely cannot beat the price, order them from petco.com, they don't give you the sale price in the store. Otherwise, look for a cage that does not have that wide, angled tray around the bottom, get one with a slide-out tray. Will make life so much easier.

Will try to get a picture up soon. Have to finish making 16 Ragdoll smock costumes before Sunday for a Christmas ballet show.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

These are two cages joined together to look like one, the trays work separately from one another and the birds enjoy the fly space.
Attachments
BFPF Set-up.jpg
BFPF cage.jpg

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

skyjump100
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by skyjump100 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi guys,
I love the idea of joining the Petco cages together. I have one but never thought of buying two to joing together (how dumb am I? ha ha :? )
One question though.... the only thing I dont like about them is that you cant remove the wire floor of the cage to clean. I have to wipe it with a damp cloth which drives my finches crazy and sends them all round the cage. How do you get on with this??

Cheers
Simon

3 pairs of Gouldians
4 Bengalese
Maisie & Pepper (Mini Schnauzers)
Too many goldfish :)

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 pm

If you wanted to join 4 cages, 2 on top and 2 on the bottom, would they be stable?

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:25 pm

cindy wrote: These are two cages joined together to look like one, the trays work separately from one another and the birds enjoy the fly space.
I love your set up, wishing I would have went with a double flight cage.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 am

I see that this is a super old thread but Cindy, how do you have the cages mounted to the stands? I have the same flight cages and have been pondering the stand thing if I try to join the cages.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:51 pm

Lucille

I have one of those petco cages. If you were thinking of making one flight cage with two on the top and two on the bottom not sure if that would be a very stable cage. Maybe if you could make some sort of frame to hold it sturdy it may work. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to give it a try. :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 am

I had thought it would be nice to have a few parakeet babies, maybe sell a couple. That was a disaster. The parakeets get very nice food, and instantly multiplied like rabbits.
My respect to those of you who sell birds as a business. I advertised in Craigslist and got flakes, no shows, and people who expected me to be available to show parakeets any time day or night. To be fair, I did meet some really nice people, but the flakes make it not worth it to me.
I'm going to just enjoy my birds as pets.
After some thought the last few days I decided not to try making another large flight cage, I'm selling off my 30x18x18 cages, sold the parakeet nest boxes yesterday except for the one with the last clutch in it, and a number of my parakeets to a very nice family who had the time and help (six grown children) to cope with a lot of parakeets.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Lucille

So you were over-run with baby Budgies, lol.

Regarding the 'flakes' chuckle, and the 'weirdos' chuckle, chuckle, snort....

That's why I brought my young birds to my favorite Pet Shop for rehoming. I didn't want to meet any of the above mentioned in my home X_X .

I am not breeding right now either, just trying to enjoy the kids as well.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~