Camping Tents for Outdoor Aviaries

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
finchick
Mature
Mature

Camping Tents for Outdoor Aviaries

Post by finchick » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Has anyone attempted to use outdoor tents as outdoor aviaries when the weather is nice? Some of these tents are quite nice, with double netting doors and great ventilation. Those with open bottoms can actually be laid directly on the ground for natural grazing.
Friends of mine from the Air Force suggested using parachutes since they breathe well and can be purchased as seconds at an army navy store. I'd just cover a tree with it and install a high grade zipper for entry and exist.
Thoughts anyone? I'm thinking about putting some out this winter with a space heater. Put the tent right over a Large Japanese maple that is leaf free anyway...

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Camping Tents for Outdoor Aviaries

Post by cindy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:57 pm

The idea is unique though I would be afraid of rain, strong wind, cold, and predators like raccoon, snakes, rats....cats. The can get up under it. If a creature got in all it takes is one rip and your birds are gone....plus the material would soil.

Think I would opt for a strong wooden frame and a wire mesh, safer for the birds.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

John86045
Pip
Pip

Post by John86045 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 am

thanks

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am

finchick

I'd also be worried about the sun rotting through it; my family had a heavy-duty (or so we thought) tent in the backyard for a month, and the sun had started to destroy it by then.