Full-spectrum Bulbs

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Full-spectrum Bulbs

Post by Sally » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:39 pm

I am redoing my light setup from T12 shop lights to T8 shop lights for most of my lighting needs, and I have found these bulbs that I think will be very good for my purpose. They are 5000K and 98cri, and it is difficult to find bulbs with that high a cri without them being 6500K, which is too high for our birds. Since the ideal is supposed to be between 5000K and 5500K with as high a cri as possible, I think these bulbs might be as close as I can get.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4722/ ... L950P.html

Unfortunately, you have to order them in a 25-pack. If there are members who can combine an order, all the better. Add a black light that reaches most of the room, and this should be a pretty economical solution to avian lighting. With this product information, members also may be able to find a place where they can purchase them in smaller quantities.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Re: Full-spectrum Bulbs

Post by KarenB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 pm

If you want to buy them individually:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-209056-F3 ... uctDetails
KarenB

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:43 pm

They are 5000K and 98cri, and it is difficult to find bulbs with that high a cri without them being 6500K, which is too high for our birds. Since the ideal is supposed to be between 5000K and 5500K
Sally; I bought a Westinghouse 18" which is 6500K & 94CRI. Should I return it? Why is 6500K "too high for our birds".

Thanks in advance for your answer :D
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Here is a link to an article that debbie276 referenced in another topic, this is one of the best articles I've seen on avian lighting. Of course, it seems to be talking about lighting for parrots, and it is far easier to provide proper lighting for one single parrot rather than multiple cages of finches, but it is still a guide. I've quoted a couple of comments from that link.

https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf

"PROPER COLOR SPECTRUM
The ideal CRI (Color Rendering Index) is 100, which is the spectrum of the midday sun. Since humans cannot detect CRI over about 85, bulbs labeled full-spectrum are often no better than 85 CRI. For birds, the CRI should ideally be 93 or above, if possible.
APPROPRIATE COLOR TEMPERATURE
5000 K (Kelvin) is perfect, up to 5700 K is acceptable. Avoid bulbs that are 5900 K! The temperature will be too actinic and could lead to molting problems and feather destructive behavior. Avoid temperature below 5000 K, which is too red and can lead to egg laying and aggression."

I used some Repti-glo lights designed for reptiles, with a 6500 kelvin, and I found after a period of time that my birds were not molting out of their nuptial plumage (Strawberries), and their feather quality had gone way down. I decided it must be the 6500k lights.

terriergal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by terriergal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:38 pm

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd refresh it and ask if anyone has found better bulbs? I don't need 48" bulbs for the small area I'm lighting. Is there a smaller option?

terriergal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by terriergal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Has anyone tried the LED cage lighting from this guy? I'm thinking of trying it:
https://www.store.breedingcage.com/collections/lights

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:42 pm

terriergal I've looked at these lights, and I'm intrigued by them. They are pricey, and since I have a lot of cages, it could be impossible for me to convert all my cages to this lighting. However, I have contacted this company, and they will be a vendor at the National Bird Show outside of Chicago the first week in December. Since I will be attending that show, it will give me a chance to see the lights in person and decide if I want to use them with some of my cages, though probably not all. Right now, I am very happy with the Phillips 48" T8 lights that I am using with a Kelvin of 5000 and cri of 98.

terriergal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by terriergal » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 am

Hm. They seem to be about $12 per light unless I'm misunderstanding the pricing. That's approximately as much as those philips bulbs are each isn't it? (plus with CFL you have to get the fixtures to put the bulbs in).

The nice thing I'm thinking about these is their slim profile and low heat output.

I'm wondering if we get one or two to start out with if my husband could put together his own.

I'm also talking to an NFSS member who has for years just bought the regular daylight bulbs for her birds at the hardware store and hasn't had a problem. Go figure!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:47 am

terriergal

I have used the regular day light bulbs as well as just regular light bulbs.
I also have a large window in my tiny bird room, which provides sunlight all afternoon (whenever the sun is shining anyway... :wink: ).

I also offer my birds eggs, and a few drops of vitamins in their water, to make up the Vit D.

I have had no problems.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:00 pm

terriergal wrote: Hm. They seem to be about $12 per light unless I'm misunderstanding the pricing. That's approximately as much as those philips bulbs are each isn't it? (plus with CFL you have to get the fixtures to put the bulbs in).

The nice thing I'm thinking about these is their slim profile and low heat output.

I'm wondering if we get one or two to start out with if my husband could put together his own.

I'm also talking to an NFSS member who has for years just bought the regular daylight bulbs for her birds at the hardware store and hasn't had a problem. Go figure!
I love the low profile of the LED lights, since I have some cages that are stacked with very little space in between. The price isn't too bad, except that I have a lot of cages that could use them. I have some 40x20x20 dividable cages where I could use the 8" strips, but I would need two for each cage, times 12 total cages, so that would be 24 of those 8" strips, plus the connectors, etc., so it could add up.

terriergal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by terriergal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:11 am

my husband got the bigger power supply with one 24 inch LED strip, for now. We can put up to 7 of those 24 inch strips on one power supply later. It came to 40 bucks all together. (he says)

terriergal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by terriergal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:12 am

lovezebs wrote: terriergal

I have used the regular day light bulbs as well as just regular light bulbs.
I also have a large window in my tiny bird room, which provides sunlight all afternoon (whenever the sun is shining anyway... :wink: ).

I also offer my birds eggs, and a few drops of vitamins in their water, to make up the Vit D.

I have had no problems.
Ah the bird room with lots of windows is something I would love to have at some point!! Jealous!

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:22 am

Terriergal- I just bought a pair of those lights as well (from m&m cage). I haven't hooked them up yet, but am excited about doing so. I have a stacked cage and needed a light strip that could be hung inside the lower cage without getting hot, etc.

I will post pics once I get everything set up.

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:28 pm

How's the heat coming off these bad boys?

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Gouldianguy- I haven't tried mine yet... They are LEDs which usually stay cooler, so I'm hoping they don't get hot. Mine will be hung inside the cage, so if they do get hot, they won't work for my current cage setup. I am installing them this weekend, so hopefully I can report back next week.