cageworld.com - any bought from them?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: cageworld.com - any bought from them?

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:17 am

zebsoc

Try e-mailing or writing to the manufacturer (you will need to tell them the exact model # for the cage).

They should be able to tell you the shaft size.

Plus its an opportunity to let them know how disappointed you are in the quality of the wheels compared to the rest of the cage. Who knows, it might spur them on to improve the situation.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:40 am

Sojourner - that's a good idea. I'll look into trying to find the manufacturer info.
Since I got it online from Petco it's unfortunate I can't just go to store and have them check for me.

Wish large cages were available inside pet stores. They carry such small cages usually, more like travel cages then bird homes. The one I have is a fairly good size for pet store cage. See below.

Since I now have only society finches in that cage, 2 females and a male I'm tempted to move them to a store cage. Just would feel bad when they have such a nice roomy place to shink it so much
tho have no where in apartment to move such a large cage and parakeets fleathers will still fly under it if I keep it for them to use for summer

If I only had 1 large cage then I could get around it pretty well without moving.
And also the lighter cage is not to hard to move since it has better wheels.
Attachments
20160404_161216.jpg
20160909_173900-1-1.jpg
20160412_192357.jpg

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:33 am

zebsoc

I'm totally with you on the inappropriate sizes of cages offered at PetSmart et al.

Only Petco seems to offer a decent size cage for a halfway fair price - their 30x18x18 finch cage at about $50.

I paid over $100 for a cage that isn't really big enough for the cockatiels it was supposedly built for - something like 20x24.

And yet that Prevue F040 is routinely available (nominally "on sale") on Amazon for $100, and it is 30 long by 20 wide by 42" tall (not counting the stand).

You can't tell me that PetSmart does not have the buying power to be able to offer that cage at that price instead of all those stupid tiny little cages that are torture for the birds kept in them.

At least offer something like the PetCo cage, which is at least big enough, even if just barely. And CERTAINLY more affordable at half the price of the so-called "cockatiel cage".
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 am

I've noticed in the city I used to live in and now in the smaller town
That Petco is Much better in providing space and cleanliness for their birds.

This current PetSmart is a Nightmare for birds. Too painful to see most of the time.
At one point they had bout 12-15 birds in one tiny space about 9-12" - 9-12" with only 1 perch and 1 nest. These were Society finches but they were fighting to Blood to try to perch somewhere. The top of the nest was Bloodsplattered.
I couldn't get the manager nor the clerks to separate them to different Empty cages which they had plenty of. Not even to add another perch. And the water was dirty and barely any.

Sadly they r the only store that sell society finches in my area.

The Petco store on the other hand had a Very Large cage for their parakeets. And it was nice and clean. And the parakeets were the most comfort with humans I had ever seen for a store. The persn who cared and cleaned them really cared about them.

In the city I used to live in Petco did sell finches but not in this area unfortunately.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 am

zebsoc

I have had occasional limited success getting PetSmart to "fix" bad bird combinations.

I went in there one day and they had a lone female Zebra finch in a cage full of societies. She was alternately chasing and being chased. NOBODY was happy in that cage.

So I went and got the manager and made her move that zebra in with the other zebras - who were also overcrowded and promptly started harassing her. Which may be how she ended up in with the societies to start with.

Well there were 4 totally empty tanks they could split those zebras up into. I opined to the manager that crowding all those Zebras together when there were empty tanks they could be split up into was a bad idea if she wanted to avoid stressed, injured, and/or dead birds. Is it better to have to remove dead or injured birds to "hospital" cages in the back? Or to have to clean out two tanks instead of one for awhile until their stock got bought down?

She mumbled something about "company policy" allowing that many birds in one tank. I asked her what "company policy" was on the safety and care of their animals, suggested that cleaning two cages for a few days but not having to remove dead birds from the cage was a more optimal use of store space, and mentioned I'd be in again the next day. And that I had the contact information for PetSmart customer service and I knew how to use it.

I did come back the next day, and the Zebras had been split into two cages and were no longer fighting.

However, at another PetSmart, the manager got nasty with me when I pointed out an injured bird in one of their tanks. Asked me if I was a licensed vet in a very snotty tone of voice. I will also note, that the bathrooms in that store were absolutely disgusting. When the HUMAN bathroom smells like sewage and has black mold growing along the baseboard, and the sink is surrounded by a puddle of dirty water - well, you can imagine what care the ANIMALS get.

I complained about the dirty bathroom to the manager and she got REALLY REALLY nasty then. Then some woman who had been in the bathroom when I went in there walked up - that woman weighed at least 350 lbs, was slovenly and unkempt and her hair was greasy and uncombed. Her shirt was rucked up in the back so you could see the crack of her butt. I thought she was a customer.

NO. She was an employee! And she started accusing me of being "dirty" because I hadn't washed my hands.

Well, no. The faucets were filthy and the counter had a puddle on it. The sink was filthy. There were no paper towels, and no soap. The bathroom literally stank of sewage, and I mentioned the black mold already. I got out of there as soon as possible and couldn't wait to get home to wash my hands.

LITERALLY, I couldn't wait to get home. I stopped at another store and went in to wash my hands THERE, LOL!

So - sometimes I've had some success with PetSmart, and sometimes the only solution seems to be to take a blowtorch to the entire facility. It seems to largely depend on how jerky the manager is.

BTW - if you ever see something that bad again, it might be worthwhile to contact the ASPCA. A few pictures taken with your cell phone might help. Or a video uploaded to Youtube might get their attention, LOL!
Last edited by Sojourner on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 am

Picture below of Petco parakeets cage. The top part is twice as tall as the picture with stand going upward for them to perch. And not over crowded at all either.
Attachments
20160715_155152.jpg

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 am

That was one bad store. Hope they go out business for sake of both animals and humans alike. Surely people will start to avoid depending on how much availability to get supplies in another store.

I stopped going to the PetSmart in my town.

Unfortunately the Petco is in the next town and small compared to PetSmart yet they give their birds More space.
Worth going to them.
But have to use online for most of supplies.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:26 am

zebsoc wrote: That was one bad store. Hope they go out business for sake of both animals and humans alike. Surely people will start to avoid depending on how much availability to get supplies in another store.

I stopped going to the PetSmart in my town.

Unfortunately the Petco is in the next town and small compared to PetSmart yet they give their birds More space.
Worth going to them.
But have to use online for most of supplies.
Yeah, I haven't seen a store that dirty in quite some time. The store probably won't go out of business - but we can hope to high heaven the manager gets replaced.

My guess is the slovenly employee wouldn't survive a change in leadership, either.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Sometimes unfortunately bad managers last a long time.
No one is looking at the store itself, only at profits.
Also their policy itself is bad because they seem to be doing pretty much same thing in every store - way overcrowding the birds and leaving empty cages. And their cages r Tiny.
Even their parakeets go into these tiny cages.