cageworld.com - any bought from them?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: cageworld.com - any bought from them?

Post by debbie276 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:37 am

Looking at these pictures they look just like the couple I have. They do fold flat which comes in handy for storage and more sturdy then you might think. Mine are 16x24 and have had them for years and had used them for a variety of things.
I don't see why with a little bit of creativity and handiness you couldn't make two cages work together.

Do let us know what you decide
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:04 am

Hi everyone. Thanks again for all your research and suggestions.

I ordered 1 cage today.

I decided to order the cage pictured below from Amazon directly.
Its due to arrive by end of next week.
Really excited looking forward to its arrival, glad it won't be a long wait.

One question for anyone that owns this cage:
I don't see a way to attach an outside bird bath? I have a bird bath that attaches to my current bird cages that works great, deep enough for them to enjoy splashing in but still keeps 95% of water inside.
The bottom doors in this cage seem much shorter than in a standard bird cage for the feeder doors.
Attachments
k2-_acda296f-ccf0-4c9a-93c2-2e9212ddead4.v1.jpeg

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:10 am

Hi Debbie

I may still try to combine cages down the road.
I would like to give my birds good head room, as well as length. Sort of make the cage tree like. In the future hopefully.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:05 am

HQ used to make these cages as triple and quad stacks (don't know why they quit offering them that way), and I have some. One bath that I use with these is the Lixit bath. I mount it on the inside of one of the doors. It is somewhat expensive for a bath, but the birds do use it. There are several downsides to this though. The holder for the bath is permanently mounted, and the birds tend to poop on it, so it needs regular cleaning. You have to open the big door wide to place the bath on the holder, presenting the birds inside with a chance to escape (you can prevent this by putting in the divider while you add/remove the bath).

http://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Corporation ... B000I6ORHS
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Post by xz_zebs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:25 pm

I had that cage previously. The side/nest doors will work with very large (cockatiel size) hang on bird baths. The bottom doors are just big enough for the admittedly large feed cups that come with the cage and are not meant to be used as a regular door, although I was able to get my hand through them and use them as such since I didn't use the feed cups. The feed cups are big enough to be a small bath all by themselves though.

The cage is attractive, sturdy, nicely built and a good size. It is also stackable and the shelf in the stand was very useful.

Unfortunately, I didn't like it for finches. The main doors are too large and are an escape risk. It sounds like you will use it, like I did, without the divider - the gap between the 2 pans is not large enough to be an escape risk for most finches, but seeds/hulls/droppings/feathers/etc do fall through it. The flat pan edges also collect more droppings than other pan designs. Another issue for me was that there wasn't a door that would accommodate the vacation style feeders that I prefer. I could put them on the inside, but I prefer to put them on the outside.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi Sally and Xz

I wish HQ still made the stackers, maybe one day they will again.

Thank you Sally for the link to the bird bath. Very cute and good sized.
Will definitely get one and try it out in the new cage.

I hadn't realize when I ordered that the slider doors were not full sized.
Only when I saw one on YouTube did I see how they were more like half doors. Odd they could have made at least a couple of them full size.

Xz - do you have any pictures of the large bird bath used that fit on the breeder doors?

I was planning to put my society females in this cage, but I think I will use it for Squeaky and Whitey instead. 2 birds only should help reduce the changes of escape since will need to use the large doors regularly.
And if any problems or plucking, I can put the divider up to give them breaks from each other but they can still be close and not be lonely.
And my society females have a taller cage with perches at 3 levels and they enjoy spending time on all 3 levels.

Since I had to separate them from each other due to Squeaky, they have all been much more high strung esp when I clean their cages.
Squeaky esp is a concern since she flies close to the door all in a flutter when I open the bigger door, so the divider will be necessary to block her as Xz suggested.

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Post by xz_zebs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:08 pm

I remember finding a bath similar to these that would fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-BA807-P ... +bird+bath

http://www.amazon.com/Living-World-Cock ... +bird+bath

Don't buy either of these until you can measure, the doors exactly since I don't remember which exact baths I determined would fit. Something else that might work is the #AB23 or the #B008 here:

http://www.abbaseed.com/Breeder_Supplies/Bath/bath.html

I ended up using nice white tubs that I could slide through the bottom/feeder doors:

http://glamgouldians.com/product-2gr-bath.php

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 pm

I also find that these cages are not ideal for finches, but I bought all mine used at good prices, so I make do. The first triple stack I bought had been used for parrotlets, and the others I bought had been used for Gouldians. But I do really like these cages, so I make them work for me. I don't use the feeder cups, as I use vacation gravity-type feeders (which I hang on the inside of one door). I do feed egg food/veggies in small dishes that will slide easily through those feeder doors. I don't think you have to worry about Societies escaping through the gap where the divider goes. I have waxbills in some of mine, so I just cut quarter-round 1/2" molding pieces to fit the gap, holding them in place with twist-ties.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm

Thank you Xy for the links.
I will measure as suggested before actually ordering but they look like they could definitely work for the breeder door.
I miss the city I used to live in which had 5 very large pet supply stores within 7 miles of my home.
My new town has 1 pet store that carries bird supplies and much smaller selection. Makes me much more depend on online shopping.

Sally.- I'm glad the society finches were fine with the gap.
Do you think that the gap could be a problem for Squeaky my zebra finch?
It might need to be the female society finches for this cage if Squeaky could escape or get stuck, since my main reason for getting this is to use the divider when cleaning. I would be taking divider in and out regularly.

My main reasons in getting this cage:
The divider for cleaning so no danger of escape (I have sight problems, hand problems, etc -
so I want to clean without distraction of birds flapping near my face or danger of escape )
Removable grill and tray. And Trays not too large so more managable (split cage makes grills and trays only 1/2 size each) Yet still adds more flight room for birds than current cages.

I personally would have preferred a lighter color esp since it will be in the Livingroom as the main feature being that it is 3 ft long. But the above requirements made it the best choice.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:51 pm

The cage I liked the most, adding 2 together is the one pictured below.

However:
No divider.
No removable grill.
Trays much longer, hard to manage on a regular daily basis.
Not available direct from Amazon.
Lack of Divider and not by Amazon directly were the deal breakers.

Loved all the doors tho. And good head room as well as flight length esp if put two together.
Attachments
51k7rT2EIZL.jpeg

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Post by xz_zebs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 pm

zebsoc - The cage you bought is of much nicer construction than the one that was not available from Amazon. I forgot to mention that I really liked the trays being 1/2 the size of the cage. I have different cages now that are almost the same dimensions, but have a single large pan. It is the thing I like least about my current cages.

I had zebs in my cage and escape through the gap was never an issue. My zebs are large, but the gap was about the cage bar width, so it really shouldn't be an issue unless the cage bars are too wide.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:21 am

Hi Xz

Your right the cage I bought is much nicer
and the larger trays would have been a constant struggle.
Looking forward to the new cage that will hopefully arrive in about a week.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:23 am

Xy

Glad that the gap shouldn't be a problem for my zebra finch.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:03 am

zebsoc I don't think you will have a problem with a Zebra finch escaping. My smaller waxbills (Goldbreasts, Fires) can easily get through that gap, so I have to close it.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Sally and Xz

Glad to know zebras are ok for this cage.

My only experience is with zebra and society finches. I had thought that zebras were the smallest finch. Waxbills must be awfully small. :)