Housing dimensions

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
cl5765
Pip
Pip

Housing dimensions

Post by cl5765 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 pm

I currently have a 10"x 14" x 14" cage, do I need to have a bigger cage? I have a zebra finch.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Housing dimensions

Post by cindy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:58 pm

If you plan to breed them I recommend a 30x18x18 cage, they will appreciate the fly room!! If not breeding a 24 x16x16 can work too.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Unfortunately, pet shops often recommend a small cage for finches--tiny bird, tiny cage. In truth, they need much more room, as they are very active birds. Personally, if you can do it, I would say a minimum of 30x18x18, though since you have just one bird, 24x16x16 would work. Your little finch would probably love a companion, but unless you want to be overrun by babies, you wouldn't want to get one of the opposite sex.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care, including housing, diet and nutrition, and especially the Zebra finch. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to answer locale-specific questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 pm

cl5765 wrote: I currently have a 10"x 14" x 14" cage, do I need to have a bigger cage? I have a zebra finch.
Hi mate, welcome to the forum :D

The cage size dimensions you state will probably be ok but this to me would be the absolute minimum size for the one bird,

A cage of 18" length x 14" high x 12" width would be a better size but in all onesty the more room the better especially when it comes to breeding em :mrgreen:

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:00 pm

I had a cage around 10x14x14, but I upgraded to a 26x14x22, and it was the best thing I ever did, my 2 society finches love the space. I recommend a bigger cage, and why not a friend to go with it. I have plans to buy a flight cage next, they will have a blast in a larger cage, and when your bird is happy, so to will you'll be.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)