Don't want to breed

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Don't want to breed

Post by Louys » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Should I keep males and females (Gouldiasns) in the same cage if I don't want to breed them?
My young female is under the weather, so a suggestion I got from a breeder is that she could be egg bound.
The breeder said that she keeps her males and females in separate cages and puts them together in separate cage only for breeding.

I have my birds for keeping me company and beauty only. Should I keep only few males together or there is no problem keeping pairs without breeding?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Don't want to breed

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:57 pm

That is a personal preference. You can keep pairs together without breeding, but be aware that there is always the chance that the hen will start laying eggs. I haven't done any breeding in several years now, and I have kept many of my pairs together, because with some of the waxbills, they become very bonded to each other and will actually mourn if I separate them.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:53 am

If you suspect she's eggbound, you must provide calcium right away, either as a supplement like Calci-Boost in their water or food, or crushed egg shells, properly prepared.

Make sure there are no nests in the cage.
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Louys » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Thank you jimenezl and@Sally
I always have eggshells and cuttlebone ground in their cage and they all eat it frequently.
I tried to feel her belly yesterday (after all I used to be biologist :). used to palpate little mouse bellies to feel/ count embryos )..... I did feel something round inside, but maybe not as big as the egg should be.

She is having hard time standing on one leg, sleeps a lot and to my surprise eats a lot..... much more than the other birds. When she flies it seems she is not as at ease, as if she is carrying extra weight. Poop is normal.

Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Louys » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Sally, I tried in my previous message to tag you but it didn't work. Would appreciate your I put.
Thenks

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 pm

Louys

If you suspect a hen may be egg bound, you need to supply liquid calcium, one or two drops directly to the side of the beak. If you don't have bird calcium, you can get human grade calcium at the pharmacy--calcium gluconate. Same dosage.

In addition, you need to supply heat, preferably with a heat lamp. Can be as simple as a gooseneck desk lamp with a 60w bulb, aimed at one end of the cage (or the bottom, if that is where she is). It is important that she is able to get away from the heat if needed. Also, you need to supply humidity. You can wet a small towel, wring it out well, and drape it over one end of the cage (opposite the heat lamp).

Hens that are egg bound either pass the egg or pass away in as short a time as one day, they don't usually linger. A hen that has been showing these signs for days on end probably is not egg bound.

Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Louys » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 pm

Sally Thanks.

From the symptoms, what else you think it could be?

I was speaking today with a Gouldian breeder about her and she said that it could be that she is overeating, as I am providing rich food. What I do is I give them only sprouted seeds and lots of greens, al of which they devour. This female in particular eats and sleeps all day.
She recommended that I wean them from this and give greens and sprouts as a treat occasionally.

Would you agree on this possibility?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:33 pm

I'm not good at diagnosing illnesses, but if you are only feeding sprouted seed and greens, I would suggest that you cut back on them and offer plain seed as the main part of their diet, see if that makes a difference. Gouldians are seed eaters, so they need the basic seed mixes.

Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Louys » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Sally, Thanks, will do..... will keep you posted.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:33 am

Sally wrote: I'm not good at diagnosing illnesses, but if you are only feeding sprouted seed and greens, I would suggest that you cut back on them and offer plain seed as the main part of their diet, see if that makes a difference. Gouldians are seed eaters, so they need the basic seed mixes.
Totally agree as if there is no hard seed in the diet the birds bowls will be extremely loose and birds droppings will be rather runny,

A Small amount of green food for birds is ok but a lot can actually give the birds a reverse affect :roll:

Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Louys » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:42 am

I am learning :) They never had loose stool though and they were on only sprouted seeds and greens.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Louys wrote: I am learning :) They never had loose stool though and they were on only sprouted seeds and greens.
That is ok my freind but remember not to overdo with the greens, soaked seed is ok but you really do need to give em normal foreign finch hard seed mix aswell :D