Lighting

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Lighting

Post by Vera » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 pm

I have two cages in our family room one that houses the canary and one that houses the society finches. There is a sliding door and window but the cages are in a corner beside each other I think the canary is getting enough sunlight but I am not sure about the finches since they are right in the corner.
Is there any type of lighting I should use to supplement what they are getting now?
thanks

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Lighting

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm

Sunlight coming through modern glass doesn't give them the vitamin D3 they need to utilize the calcium they take in, modern glass has been treated to keep out uv light. They don't necessarily need supplemental lighting, as you can give them supplements/vitamins that will supply them D3. D3 is also available in many foods, including eggs.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Sally wrote: Sunlight coming through modern glass doesn't give them the vitamin D3 they need to utilize the calcium they take in, modern glass has been treated to keep out uv light. They don't necessarily need supplemental lighting, as you can give them supplements/vitamins that will supply them D3. D3 is also available in many foods, including eggs.
thank you. How often do you think they should get egg considering I have a set of parents under a year old and two juveniles who are ten weeks old and I don't want to encourage any more egg laying for a while. There is also a cup of crushed oyster shell available to them which they eat.
Also what other foods will give them the Vit D3
I haven't been giving them any other supplements should I be doing that. I did have a mineral block available and nobody touched that. They have a cuttlebone available now and nobody wants that either.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:23 pm

The juveniles should be getting egg food until they have completed their first molt at a minimum, as they are still growing. The easy way to add D3 to their diet is with a vitamin supplement.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org